Need to convert amber LME to all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDR_050998

Reaction score
I recently started brewing all grain, and haven't really had any real problems yet. I am looking at my next extract recipe, and it calls for 7 pounds of amber LME. I am really not sure how to convert the amber extract to all grain. Can somebody please help me?

DDR_050998 said:
I recently started brewing all grain, and haven't really had any real problems yet. I am looking at my next extract recipe, and it calls for 7 pounds of amber LME. I am really not sure how to convert the amber extract to all grain. Can somebody please help me?

Your specialty grains in the recipe would be the same and 1lb of grain =.6lb of lME which would become your base malt

The problem with converting dark extracts is that most maltsters don't publish the ratios of what is in them. For example, on various sites Briess amber is listed as a combo of base, munich, and crystal 60 but no ratios. What is the entire recipe you are trying to recreate?

Edit: Also for extract if you assume about 75% efficiency it would be approx .75lb LME per lb grain (0.6 lb for DME).

The problem with converting dark extracts is that most maltsters don't publish the ratios of what is in them. For example, on various sites Briess amber is listed as a combo of base, munich, and crystal 60 but no ratios. What is the entire recipe you are trying to recreate?

Edit: Also for extract if you assume about 75% efficiency it would be approx .75lb LME per lb grain (0.6 lb for DME).

I used .5# of crystal 60L, carafoam, and maris otter, .25# of peated malt, 1/8# of both black roasted barley and chocolate malt, and the 7# of amber LME. I also threw in some Karo's corn syrup with brown sugar into the boil, and 1.5 oz chinook hops for bittering. I really liked the extract recipe, and it was one of my more popular brews. Thanks again for any advice.

Interesting recipe. Let's say the amber LME is around 10% crystal 60, 10% munich, and 80 % base malt. Then the 7lb extract would equate to around 1 lb crystal 60, 1 lb Munich, and 7.33 lb 2 row/pale/MO. Since you've already got the crystal 60 and carafoam in there I might keep it to 1 lb total of the 60 - or go with 1.5lb and drop the carafoam. So the final recipe would be something like this:

8.5 lb MO/pale
1.5 lb crystal 60
1 lb Munich
.25 peated
.125 each black and chocolate

I think that would get you close.
:mug:

In my system, the Briess Amber LME is replaced as 1 kg of LME for 1.12 kg 2-row, 0.14 kg Munich, and 0.10 kg Crystal 60L. This is based upon achieving a 74% efficiency in the mash. YMMV.

I don't want to thread-jack, but which system are you using? I've been struggling to convert Briess Golden Light LME for a while now.
:off:

Back