Blueberry Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westmarin

Reaction score
My first attempt at a sparkling melomel. Brewed with 7.5# clover honey, 3# blueberry puree , used dried pastuer champagne yeast. This is primarily for my wife aa she is not into beer. The OG was 1.053, FG of 0.996. Came in at 7.5%. Brewed 12/29/2012, bottled with 127grams priming sugar for the 5 gallon batch on 1/20/2013. And I must say the hydrometer sample was delicious (I definitely wanted more :) ) Finished bottling primarily in swingtop bottles but alzo tried some small 17 oz flask style bottles to showcase the color. Hopefully they will be strong enough to hold the pressure. So while naturally carbing them they will be in a tub, incase of glass grenade action.

ForumRunner_20130121_080245.png

ForumRunner_20130121_080337.png

New to mead but been keeping bees for years. So I started my first mead January first, new tradition, those dates you posted seem very fast compared to what I been reading. Was it all in the yeast choice? And how long do you expect for it top age to perfection?
Started a beer extract January 9, want to do a faster mead over next few weeks.
My now 21 day old mead just keeps putting up bubbles....
Used Lelvin 1118 cuz that is what I had that day. Raisins,tangerine, 6 1/2 pounds raw wildflower, yeast nutrient

I too was surprised by how fast it finished. By the time I bottled there hadn't been any positive pressure in the airlock for a week and a half. Hydrometer readings remained stable for that time. I think maybe the yeast selection was a factor as well as the fact that it was not a heavier mead( using just 7.5 # of honey for a 5 gallon batch). Perhaps as well a constant 74 degree fermentation temp. I plan on opening a sample bottle in a month to try it out.

I found the flasks at Cost Plus World Market, they have them available online as well. As too how long until the sparking melomel will be at its peak,according to the Home Brewers Companion it will be roughly 3~8 months. AI based my recipe on C.Papizan's Waialeale Chablis Mead.

Caution with these bottles , Ive had one that popped . So I would recommend them for still mead only. After the one popped I released some pressure from the others.

Those bottles worked out nicely. There was great acclaim and calls for more mead from all who tried it. I have since done another batch that I increased the honey to 10# , and maintained the 3# of blueberry puree, which was pureed at home in a blender. The mead is beautifully dry and sparkling and not overwhelmingly high in abv which.my wife is very happy with.

Back