New E-BIAB Brewer in Columbia SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidass

Reaction score
Putting the finishing touches on my E-BIAB setup, full keggle conversion. Any other brewers around Columbia?

I am also an extract brewer (at the moment) close to northeast Columbia. I am very intrigued about BIAB but have some concerns before trying it out. Expense, equipment, time investment, etc. Where are you located? We may be able to expound on this topic!

NE Columbia very close to Sandhills. Time allowing, I should be doing my first brew this weekend :)

pidass said:
NE Columbia very close to Sandhills. Time allowing, I should be doing my first brew this weekend :)

I am in Elgin which is very close! I also hope to brew an Irish stout or a Red ale this weekend. Just extract again but very good going down!

yea mine will be a amber ale extract kit I got from midwest supplies when i first assembling supplies. may get delayed though as i noticed some rust on the fitting welds and heating element, so those need some attention. seems like there is always something delaying me.

Putting the finishing touches on my E-BIAB setup, full keggle conversion. Any other brewers around Columbia?

Sorry for asking but what is E-BIAB? I'm new to homebrewing (only brewed 2 batches so far) so I'm trying to catch up on all of the acronyms. I'm in Ballentine/Whiterock area.
Joseph T

dieharduscfan said:
Sorry for asking but what is E-BIAB? I'm new to homebrewing (only brewed 2 batches so far) so I'm trying to catch up on all of the acronyms. I'm in Ballentine/Whiterock area.
Joseph T

I think the 'E' stands for extract. The BIAB stands for 'brew in a bag'.

Three types of brewing include extracts where the malt is already made. Most kits are extracts.

Partial mash means extracts and some steeped/mashed grains, and are more labor intensive. This is what 'E-BIAB' is I'm thinking.

All Grain brewing is the most complicated and equipment intensive, but at least you have total control of mashing grain to get up to 85-90% of the malt from the grains.

almost, E for Electric :), using a 5500W heating element in the keg to bring the wort to boil. using electric heat for Brew In A Bag, still uses all grain.

Where did you pick up your keggles, if you don't mind me asking? Am trying to get some AG equipment so I can start brewing this way. Already have a cooler to convert to a mash tun but am very limited on kettle size so I thought I'd do what most are doing and that is using converted kegs. They are hard to find though.

Have you polished yours yet?? LOL I hear it sux!! Very labor intensive but they look awesome once finished.

randomly came into the one I have, guy doing some work for me said he knows someone with a couple after talking with him the other day about brewing, no idea if he would sell them or what he'd ask for them but I'll find out and PM you.

I thought of polishing but I'd rather invest my time into function over form. Plus I'll probably just wrap it in fiberglass wrap to better insulate it so no one would ever see it anyways.

Thanks pidass! Glad to hear from you MC! Sorry if I seemed a bit snarky in my last reply... SWMBO (wife!) had me on edge, my bad!

Back