Not carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Reaction score
I bottled my beer a little more than a week and a half ago, it was an extract brew...Brewer's Best - Summer Ale, and I used the priming sugar included with the kit for carbonation. I know I am supposed to let them sit for about 2 weeks but I figured I would see how far along they were and I put a few in the fridge for a couple of hours. When I opened them there was no "pssshht" and no carbonation what so ever.

Is it possible that the priming sugars were bad? Is it something that can be fixed or maybe because the temperature where the beer is sitting is a bit higher than normal that it is taking longer to build carbonation? I just hope I didn't ruin a whole batch.

I wouldn't worry until at least the 3rd or 4th week. Temp, beer style are factors too, but id say relax.

Does carbonation come on all at once or does it increase gradually? I am just concerned because it doesn't seem like there is any carbonation at all.

I'm not the smartest here but I had a beer that after 2 weeks no carbing. But it took about 6 weeks... so give it a little time.

A little more info on your process would be helpful. I brewed the same kit and had good carb at one week.

As far as the brewing goes, I followed the directions to the letter and everything went well. Only things I changed were the fermentation time...I let it sit for 2 weeks instead of the one before transferring to secondary. Also, the fermentation temp wasn't ideal, it stayed around 74-76 degrees, as did it in the secondary where it sat for an additional month before bottling.

Yes, I dissolved it in the correct amount of boiling water for the allotted time and poured it into my bottling bucket before siphoning the beer into it and stirring it well before bottling.

Maybe someone can speak to the ferment temp and how that could effect things? Hope it carbs up for you. I did a 3 wk primary only ferment then bottled. Tried one at 1 week to make sure it carbed up. Sorry I'm not more help.

You primed the beer properly but you have not allowed enough time for carbonation and conditioning. The recommended amount of time is 3 weeks at 70F and that is just the minimum, some beer takes longer. Generally lower gravity beer takes less time and big beers take a lot longer, some months. If you have the bottles colder than 70 move them to warm up. I usually don't even sample a beer for at least two weeks.

As for the fermentation temperature, it has no bearing on the carbonation process but there may be some off flavors to contend with. If so, leaving them condition for a longer period of time may help depending on the off flavor, some just don't go away.

Carbonation happens gradually. If you have nothing after 3 weeks, let us know. What was the og and fg of your brew? Bigger and darker beers take longer. My Irish red took a week. My stout took almost 5 weeks.

Off the top of my head the OG was 1.040 and FG was 1.010, it isn't a high alcohol beer like 4%. I will just wait the extra few days and see what happens.

The beer was fermented and has been priming at ~75 degrees.

Sugar doesn't go "bad". It will carb, especially at that low gravity. Just be patient, and wait 2 more weeks. And pray to god Revvy doesn't see this thread.

Wait another week, then place one in the fridge for a day or so. If its not carbed even a little bit after 2.5 weeks, you may have a problem.

I will just wait it out. I was really hoping they would have been ready though. I have family coming into town this week and it would have been awesome to let them drink some homebrew. Oh, well, I still have some Milk Stout left over from my first brew.

What's a Revvy?

Me, though I don't know why Bottlebomber wouldn't want me to see this thread, if I can be helpful to you.

Militant kegger here.

Empty the bottles into a keg and add gas.

And then he'd have 5 gallons of oxydized beer...... :rolleyes:

You know, I bottle AND keg, and I STILL can't figure out why some folks feel the need to stick their noses in with crap like this. The answer "keg," is NEVER and answer to "My beer's not carbed" unless of course you're a militant tool that is.....

What a waste of bandwidth.

Biscuits, you're beer's not carbed at a week and a half for one simple reason...It's only been a week and a half.

99.999% of the time the brewer doesn't have a carbonation problem on here, they have a PATIENCE one. Just like you

Your beer's only been in the bottle for 10 days, that's too soon for a normal gravity beer, you're is higher isn't it?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

And as to Kegging....Booby M, who had posted the most info on here on the science of kegging is pretty clear on several threads, pointing out that kegging, if done the proper way and not the burst carbing method, takes just as long to carb up......

It takes a good 20 days to reach full carbonation when you use target pressure for the whole time.

You're just expecting 20 or so days of carbonation to happen in 10 days. You can either wait another week minimum or crank the pressure to like 16psi for a few more days and then drop it back down to 12.

The final point I want to make is that the only reason I'd advocate a boost carb is when your beer has already aged/conditioned prior to making it to your kegerator and you need the beer to be drinkable in less than two weeks (poor planning on your part of course). I noted on the chart that if you went from primary right to keg at week zero, no matter how fast you carb, it will still take at least 3 weeks to taste decent. Therefore, why boost carb at all?

So tell me again why EVER saying "keg" is helpful in a bottling thread. Especially one where the answer is ever about simply having patience?????? :rolleyes:

cgherrington3 said:
Militant kegger here.

Empty the bottles into a keg and add gas.

It wouldn't be a complete "why no carbonation yet" thread without a militant kegger. You sir, are the opposite of helpful to new brewers.

Revvy said:
Me, though I don't know why Bottlebomber wouldn't want me to see this thread, if I can be helpful to you.
Actually, I considered PMing you the link. But I knew you'd see it ;)

And now, you know what a Revvy is :mug:

Biscuits, you're beer's not carbed at a week and a half for one simple reason...It's only been a week and a half.

99.999% of the time the brewer doesn't have a carbonation problem on here, they have a PATIENCE one. Just like you

Your beer's only been in the bottle for 10 days, that's too soon for a normal gravity beer, you're is higher isn't it?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Thanks for the info I will exercise more patience which hasn't failed me yet in my short time brewing. However, please don't forget this thread is posted in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum so concerns like mine were probably at one time the same concerns as yours which may explain why you are such an expert on the subject.

I do appreciate you taking the time to type it our for me though. I usually am a very patient person and I know these things take time. As I said before in the thread, I have family coming in from out of town and I just wanted to see if the beer was drinkable, even though I knew it wasn't quite time yet I thought I might get lucky, and it just worried me a bit that the beers I opened didn't seem to be carb'ed at all. I figured they should have been at least a little by now.

I am guessing that since they are at a higher temp than normal this may be the issue or not...either way I am sure it will work itself out.

Cheers.

However, please don't forget this thread is posted in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum so concerns like mine were probably at one time the same concerns as yours which may explain why you are such an expert on the subject.

And if you would have taken the time to search through this forum, you would have found umpteen threads asking the exact same question, that Revvy has answered umpteen times.

And if you would have taken the time to search through this forum, you would have found umpteen threads asking the exact same question, that Revvy has answered umpteen times.

Oh man, here we go...:rolleyes: please tell me more about this search button.

Biscuits said:

Select the forum you want and at the right hand corner above the threads is a search button. In addition there is a google bar and usually HBT threads are the first to appear:)

Don't feel bad or put off, Revvy is just pretty direct with his replies and comes off a little over the top but you'll get used to it and find humor as you become more involved! He spends a great deal of time helping everyone, many time repeating information for the sole purpose of helping those that are new to the hobby. Very rarely will he ever tell anyone to search for something, he will type everything out or provide a direct link to an answer:)

Thanks for the info I will exercise more patience which hasn't failed me yet in my short time brewing. However, please don't forget this thread is posted in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum so concerns like mine were probably at one time the same concerns as yours which may explain why you are such an expert on the subject.

Actually it wasn't a "concern of mine" before I ever started brewing I kept seeing answers on forums that said "wait three weeks" and "have patience" and I chose to believe what I saw.....and did so. And when I did cheat and checked and they weren't carbed, I didn't start a "my beer's not carbed" thread, or worry about it, because I knew from what I read that the problem wasn't the beer, it was me. If 5, or 50 people posted that when they opened their beer early it wasn't carbed, but when they went back a few weeks later, then I tended to figure that if I waited then mine would too.

And I'm quite aware this is the beginner's section, that's why I have written several blogs covering the same beginners questions we see 20 times a day, and refer folks to them, like I did you.

Like I said earlier, carbing IS really a foolproof problem. You add sugar, you wait, and the beer farts co2 and carbs your beer. I've carbed hundreds if not thousands of gallons of beer, all styles, all gravities, all lengths of times in primary and/or secondary, and they've all carbed, in due time.

I've been on here for years and still have yet to see more than 1-2 bottling threads, where patience wasn't the problem, and where they didn't carb eventually. 99.99999% of the time it does.

Well, all smart ass comments aside, thanks for the help.

What smart ass comments? THe only smart ass comments were geared towards the kegger. Anything towards you are the same answer I've given to everyone who posts this question. There's nothing in there meant to be smart assed to you as you say....If your feelings are hurt by being told to wait, then perhaps the internet is not your thing.....

:rolleyes: Maybe you ought to check it out onCe or twice.

You ask one of the most basic questions on here, which gets constantly asked. Then when Revvy takes the time (again) to give you a great answer, you have to point out how you did post in the beginners forum, sounding a bit like a... Wait for it.... A smartass!

What smart ass comments? THe only smart ass comments were geared towards the kegger. Anything towards you are the same answer I've given to everyone who posts this question. There's nothing in there meant to be smart assed to you as you say....If your feelings are hurt by being told to wait, then perhaps the internet is not your thing.....

I meant my sarcastic comments. I assure you nothing you said made me feel sad about stuff.

Back