Hop Testing Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobMT

Reaction score
I've just got my hands on a couple hop varieties (Sorachi Ace and Summit) that I haven't yet used. I also have some Citra that I would like to use on it's own to see how it does in a beer.

The goal of this recipe was to create a pale ale that let's the hop shine through regardings it's bittering, flavour and aroma profiles while still being a beer that doesn't fall flat after the hops.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 84.2 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 5.3 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 10.5 %
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 21.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10.7 IBUs 0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.75 qt of water at 159.1 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (5.59gal) of 170.0 F water

What do you guys think? I'll use the same hop schedule for the Sorachi Ace, Summit and Citra.

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to make a lager.

Why would you shy away from using it in a pale ale? Everything I've read about it makes it sound like it would be great. That's considering that I like a lot of citrus notes in my beer, though.

Hmmm that flavour seems really interesting to me since I've never come across it.

Do you have any suggestions for other hops to pair it with in an IPA?

What does the base pale ale recipe look like for Citra and Summit using the same additions?

I appreciate your input by the way, every bit of info I can gather about these 3 hop varieties and the recipe are a big help.

I think it looks good. Sorachi can be a bit of a polarizing hop, and Summit as well, but there is no better way to learn about them than by doing a single hop ale. Personally, I will be doing a series of single hop APAs with Centennial, Amarillo, and Citra using the same grainbill over the next couple of months. Not quite as out there as what you're doing, but I've got them, might as well use them.

Back