BRew Rig Software Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidjazz54

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly thanks all for looking. I'm beginning the works of building and designing a semi-automated brew rig using an Arduino, some valves, some temp sensors, etc. Unfortunately I am the first one to admit that I am not very creative. I can do all of the wiring and most of the programming but when it comes to making things look pretty I'm terrible (no comments please :) ). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I should lay out the GUI of the software program.

I like John Beere's GUI that he uses here- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/deep-six-brewing-system-v2-0-a-79435/ but I would like to expand on that and maybe add some pictures of the three keggles that I have and show the volume maybe. Anyone have any other suggestions or help?

Here's what I have so far.

Rig Background jpeg.jpg

You might want to make an icon for each value you wish to display, then move them around until you find a configuration that makes the data easy to read.

pencil and paper is what I use.
img144121.jpg

pfft... that is so analog...

:tank:

op- check out advancedhmi.com
the interface is very nice, easy to build. only downside is the hardware support is geared twoards scada type systems (expensive industrial stuff). might be able to get some ideas though.

klyph- Yeah I think I may give that a shot tonight. I'm afraid that I want too many things for the space I have.

lehr- Damn that's shiny. Very nice

Audger- Thanks, that looks pretty good. I have the C-More software which has a bunch of HMI components, I would like to use them but I can't figure out where the images are stored.

I am making my own custom GUI for a Labview front panel. The images are made using Power Point which actually is quite flexible for creating decent looking images and windows. Below is a mockup of what I plan to build. Let me know and I can provide the .pptx file if you want to play around.

BreweryGUI-Overview1.PNG

TheFlyingBeer said:
I am making my own custom GUI for a Labview front panel. The images are made using Power Point which actually is quite flexible for creating decent looking images and windows. Below is a mockup of what I plan to build. Let me know and I can provide the .pptx file if you want to play around.

Pretty cool.. I was thinking about doing something like that. My plan was to have it be modular, so I could use it to control my smoker, brewing, sous vide, and anything else I come up with.

FlyingBeer- I forgot to ask, are those standard LabView controls or are those something that you designed yourself?

I have made my own custom controls in LV. I think the images I have built could be used in any other application to create an indicator, I just happened to chose LV.

I uploaded the current state of my powerpoint file (it is kind of a mess but it gets the job done): Brewery GUI.pptx

If you have powerpoint feel free to modify or use whatever you need to create your own graphics.

I'm happy to see the flux capacitor underneath your boil kettle. There's no faster way to brew a batch then to finish the boil before you begin!

BreweryGUI-Overview1.PNG

jeeeeeeeez, now i'm going to spend the rest of my afternoon daydreaming about this level of automation

Back