Irish moss/ whirfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
How does it work? How do I use it? I'm doing an extract kit from northern brewer, boiling 2.5 gallons and diluting to 5 gallons. I'm doing an Irish Red Ale

I used Irish Moss for the first time with my last 2 brews. They are both still in primary so I can't say how much better the clarity is quite yet. With Irish Moss I use 1 tsp. with 15 minutes left in the boil.

BigTerp is correct; just add during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Irish Moss works as a fining agent by making smaller particles within your beer cling to larger particles causing them to settle to the bottom.

The wirfloc I am using comes in tablet form. Do I need to rehydrate these or do anything special? Or can I just drop it right in at 15 mins before the end of boil?

The wirfloc I am using comes in tablet form. Do I need to rehydrate these or do anything special? Or can I just drop it right in at 15 mins before the end of boil?

Yep, just drop it in like you would moss. I don't know the mechanics of it, but essentially it is Irish Moss extract, or something like that. I found though that sometimes I'd find bits of the tablet floating around at the end of the boil, so I would suggest adding it at 20-30 mins prior to cooling. Still works the same that way.

I've always dropped whirfloc at 15 minutes from flame out. No issues, and definitely clearer wort after chilling than without. I seem to remember seeing Palmer not recommend it for extract brewing, but can't remember why. Anyway I've used it from batch #2 onward, no issues that I've noticed.

Here's what the MoreBeer.com site says:

"Whirlfloc (qty 10 Tablets)
FIN25

A blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form. Almost everyone who tries Whirlfloc tablets prefer them to regular Irish Moss.
Add for the final 5 minutes of the boil.

Note: One Whirlfloc tablet is good for 10-15 gallons of wort. We suggest using half a tablet for 5 gallon batches for most beers."​

FWIW, I'm going to use it in a 5-gal extract batch for the first time this weekend, and I'm going to follow their recommendation of half a tablet at 5 minutes. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back