30 minute hop additions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMbrewer

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Any opinions on 30 minute hop additions? I don't seem to be getting a benefit in my beer from them. Seems like it add a tictch of bitterness and that's about it...I have seen better utilization from 90,60,15 minute additions.....your thoughts??

IMO they are kind of a waste in my brewery. If I want bitterness add them earlier, if I want flavor add them later, aroma much later. Maybe there is some elusive 'depth' of hops flavor you get from 30 min additions but not that I'm aware of.

I tend to not get that much aroma from late additions, at least not as much as many recipes/books would lead you to believe. Like they might say to add 1/2-3/4 oz of hops at flameout for aroma and I'm thinking; "IME that will be borderline detectable". But I do seem to get more bitterness and flavor from late additions so for me, adding more hops later in the boil seems to work best.

thanks Spanish....one of the reasons for my asking is, I have a beer that has been in secondary for bout 3 weeks. OG was bout 1.087. It has absolutely no smell and has great malt and hop character. I can't figure it out.....did 30 minute additions in that brew and it spawned the question.....I love the smell of a well hopped ale on the front end, but this beer escapes me. Early and late additions seem to work well, but hops in the middle might not be worth it!!

I stopped doing 30 min. additions, they kinda blend the bitter/aroma and I like to have contrast between the two. and I kinda am getting away from the bittering also. my last pale ale I did a small FWH and nothing else till the last min. it came out fantastic. lots of dry hops!

I stopped doing 30 min. additions, they kinda blend the bitter/aroma and I like to have contrast between the two. and I kinda am getting away from the bittering also. my last pale ale I did a small FWH and nothing else till the last min. it came out fantastic. lots of dry hops!
I have to do the same with high hop flavor/aroma brews, even ones that can have substantial IBUs. Just a little bittering hops and hop-burst towards the end.

I'm still experimenting with FWH so I can't attest to that vs bittering, but I find 30mins a waste too. I hopburst like crazy at 10-flameout. (Mostly at nearly flameout since I nochill)

I never really thought about it, but the fact that none of my standard rotation recipes have any hops additions between 60 and 20 minutes probably means something.:fro:

Back