Blichmann false bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Who's got one? Mine is warped and doesn't lay flat on the bottom. This resulted than a less than stellar test session. The wort never really cleared like it should have. Also, the pin seems to be a bit to long, would it be ok to grind it down? If I did, that would put more weight on the edges and possibly make it lay/lie? flatter.

A disappointing first effort.

I have one for my 15 gallon and it works perfect... I could see how the pin the in center being too long could throw it off like you are describing. Is the FB not laying flat because the pin is too long or because the FB is not flat?

I have one for my 15 gallon and it works perfect... I could see how the pin the in center being too long could throw it off like you are describing. Is the FB not laying flat because the pin is too long or because the FB is not flat?

I think a little of both, it has a "give" to it, you can press on one side and the other side will pop up. I think if I grind the pin down it will force it to lay flay, I hope. Blichmanns customer service leaves a lot to be desired, so i'm hoping someone here has had a similar issue.

Wildwest, Mine is exactly like that!
Seems warped, and didn't think about the pin being to long, but did notice that it made a dent in the bottom of my kettle after the first time I used it.

I sent an email to Blichmann, but no response.
I called Brewmasters warehouse, and the guy there said he'd check into it and get back with me. No response yet.
He did give me some advise to use in the meantime.
I had a huge problem with SO much grain and particles getting by the FB during dough in, it took forever to vorlof to even somewhat clean wort.
He suggested that I dump all my grain into the dry MT. That way the grain would hold down the FB Then, pump strike water in from the bottom. By the time the water got to the top, all the grain was wet, and had the clearest wort ever as I recirqulated with my RIMS.

NOT an answer for a definate product flaw, but I do like the new technique I learned.

Wildwest, Mine is exactly like that!
Seems warped, and didn't think about the pin being to long, but did notice that it made a dent in the bottom of my kettle after the first time I used it.

I sent an email to Blichmann, but no response.
I called Brewmasters warehouse, and the guy there said he'd check into it and get back with me. No response yet.
He did give me some advise to use in the meantime.
I had a huge problem with SO much grain and particles getting by the FB during dough in, it took forever to vorlof to even somewhat clean wort.
He suggested that I dump all my grain into the dry MT. That way the grain would hold down the FB Then, pump strike water in from the bottom. By the time the water got to the top, all the grain was wet, and had the clearest wort ever as I recirqulated with my RIMS.

NOT an answer for a definate product flaw, but I do like the new technique I learned.

That sucks. Nothing like dropping $1200 on pots and having crap sent to you.
Would it kill them to drop the stupid thing in there an check it out? I don't like putting the grains in first for two reasons, 1- doughballs and 2- your strike water would need to be dead on, I prefer to pump in a few degrees higher just to warm everything up and nail my temps. Although, unless I become a metal shaper, I may have to try it.

I had NO problem with doughballs. Not at all like pouring water from the top.

The temps were somewhat close, and my RIMS caught up after a while. Once I dial in the new system, it'll get better.

The fact that I bought 3 expensive blinggy kettles over the last few months and didn't get a response does suck.

The fact that I bought 3 expensive blinggy kettles over the last few months and didn't get a response does suck.

I emailed them also. I guess we'll see. I don't see how they wouldn't ship a new one out and have us send the warped ones back. Maybe they can fix them and re-sell them. It's not like you can tell it's ever been used.

Did you stir after all the strike water was in?

Yes I stirred, but it didn't take much.
I was really impressed with the ease and results.

I just heard back from Blichmann, he basically said to bend it back myself.:rolleyes: Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

I have a Blichmann false bottom that's also warped. I'm still building my rig so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll have to go back and check to see if the pin is too long. Like you guys, I've found their customer service to be lacking.

I have a Boilermaker on order for my BK. Reading the threads about these FB's, I think I will stick with my trusty cooler for my MT.

I have seen a bunch of people complaining Blichmann's service recently. I hope they step it up, because at their price point it needs to be better.

I have a number of Blichmann products and have had good results with most of them, but have also experienced no follow up from email. There is NO excuse for the company not following up on Customer Service. In my opinion, that is a good way to lose valuable business in these tight times. Not everyone has $400 to drop on a Brew Kettle and another $95 on a False Bottom. Blichmann is supposed to represent quality. John, are you reading the forums?

I have a Boilermaker on order for my BK. Reading the threads about these FB's, I think I will stick with my trusty cooler for my MT.

I have seen a bunch of people complaining Blichmann's service recently. I hope they step it up, because it their price point it needs to be better.

Amen. They should be checked before they ever leave. I will be happy and satisfied if I get a decent replacement.

Did my first brew today with my new 20 gallon Blingmann's (slightly used, but new to me). The FB worked very well. My only real issue with it is that my temps on the kettle output valve were much higher than what the grain mass really was. I attribute this to the fact that the FB covers the entire bottom so direct firing is only heating the wort below the screen.

Did my first brew today with my new 20 gallon Blingmann's (slightly used, but new to me). The FB worked very well. My only real issue with it is that my temps on the kettle output valve were much higher than what the grain mass really was. I attribute this to the fact that the FB covers the entire bottom so direct firing is only heating the wort below the screen.

I would think you definately would want to recirculate the mash if you are going to direct fire to prevent scorching.

Sorry to hear about the shotty customer service. You'd think for as much as they charge for their product they could pay someone to take care of their customers.

If you're direct firing, you absolutely need to be recirculating. Otherwise, there is no way to distribute the heat you are creating in the thin mash below the FB. Stirring might help a little, but you definitely need to recirc with a direct fired MLT.

If you're direct firing, you absolutely need to be recirculating. Otherwise, there is no way to distribute the heat you are creating in the thin mash below the FB. Stirring might help a little, but you definitely need to recirc with a direct fired MLT.

I am doing a continuous recirc. I'm also using a BCS-462 to fire the burner periodically. After posting this and thinking about it, I think I know what will help. I have the burner on full while I heat the strike water and I think I probably just need to trim the burner for the intermittent firing during recirc.

Wildwest,
Did you get your new false bottom from Blichmann yet? I'm interested to know if it was warped as well or if it was actually flat.

John actually emailed me back and told me it's normal for false bottoms to be warped. :confused:

Wildwest,
Did you get your new false bottom from Blichmann yet? I'm interested to know if it was warped as well or if it was actually flat.

John actually emailed me back and told me it's normal for false bottoms to be warped. :confused:

Actually I just got it yesterday, after 2 reminder e-mails, and a 2 week wait. And yes, it's warped as well. Although not as bad, I still think it's crap. He said the same thing to me, that during the stamping process they warp some. No one can tell me it's acceptable to pay $450 for a mash tun and have it come with a warped false bottom.

I would never in good conscience recommend Blichmann to anyone.

Wow, I got mine and it's warped as well.

I modified it and now it's flat--I attached it to a 3/8" copper tube ring with tabs, and it fits snug just off the bottom of my 30 qt stainless stock pot, lauter tun.

I never heard back from Blichmann or BMW about my complaint. It's a damn good thing i am so addicted to the bling, thats all I've got to say.

Wow... I was just about to buy my second boilermaker, but after hearing these complaints I may rethink that decision.

Sure would be nice to here the company's customer service policy before I make my decision.

I've got a 15 gallon Blichmann kettle w/ false bottom and a 26 gallon megapot w/ false bottom... I did not have a warped false bottom on the Blichmann so I can't comment on that, but the design of their false bottom works awesome in the MLT. That said, I love the megapot for it being large and heavy duty, it will outlive me for sure, but the Blichmann wins hands down for the MLT.

Back