Priming with malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for priming with malt extract. Whats the procedure for this? Do I boil it all the way past hot break? What about the protein that breaks out of solution? Do I cool it and decant it off the trub?

I had a recipe that called for using DME. I just boiled 10 minutes, cooled, and racked on top of it. Make sure you use a big pan when boiling or have anti foaming drops.

Many on here would recommend using corn sugar. It is cheaper and apparently won't alter the finished product since all the sugars will ferment out. Of course experiment and see what works best for you.

Also important to note: Certain brands of DME attenuate more or less than other certain brands. Even within one brand, attenuation can be inconsistent. Many people advocate using dextrose/corn sugar because it is more consistent, not because of any taste alteration. Taste changes should be *beyond* minimal from using DME. Only carbing halfway... now that's harder to fix.

Also important to note: Certain brands of DME attenuate more or less than other certain brands. Even within one brand, attenuation can be inconsistent. Many people advocate using dextrose/corn sugar because it is more consistent, not because of any taste alteration.

And let's be honest....can you really taste the difference between corn sugar and dme used for priming?

Well right now it's been in the bottles for about 3 weeks. It's properly carbonated but it still has a very green flavor to it. So, in the sence that it seems to take a while longer to mature, yes, I can taste a difference. We'll have to see if I can tell a difference in the finished product. I'll dig this thread up in a few weeks and report back.

Here's the recipe in case anyone was wondering:

12oz 20L crystal malt - steeped
6 lbs Extra light DME
1/2oz cascade(bittering)
Last 15 min:
1 oz cascade(flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
Last 1 min:
1/2 oz. cascade

Then pitched with Wyeast 1318 London III

As you can see I had some extra cascade laying around. :D

Back