Jaom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luda007

Reaction score
I Asked this awhile back in the JAOM thread but without a response.
When I drink my jack I like a slice or 2 or orange in it. About a year ago I discovered these packets call "true" orange. They make lemon as well as like.
I'm wondering if I could substitute the packets for actual oranges?

I think each packet is equivalent to 1 wedge.
The packets show 100% real crystallized orange.

I ask because I would rather use it to take up less room with whole orange slices in my Carboy.

I'd have said no. Crystalised fruit is just that. For decoration of cake or confectionary.

Plus you lose any of the fresh fruit flavour. The sugars would ferment but as JAO finishes sweet, I'd suspect that you'd also have lost the volatile flavour and aroma elements normally obtained from fresh fruit.......hence it'd likely end up even sweeter.

I'd say, just get a bigger fermenter and scale it up....

I Asked this awhile back in the JAOM thread but without a response.
When I drink my jack I like a slice or 2 or orange in it. About a year ago I discovered these packets call "true" orange. They make lemon as well as like.
I'm wondering if I could substitute the packets for actual oranges?

I think each packet is equivalent to 1 wedge.
The packets show 100% real crystallized orange.

I ask because I would rather use it to take up less room with whole orange slices in my Carboy.

Which is cheaper? My money is on the orange.

I made a 5 gallon batch with 5 oranges.

I think the true would have been cheaper.

I never really thought of oranges as being a significant cost in mead. Orange for a 1 gal batch = 30p. Honey for a 1 gal batch = £5. I'd love to keep my own bees for that reason :p

Back