Winery/brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the same property but not in the same building.
Also you can't use the same storage space dedicated to the winery to house
any malt or grains.

It is a lot easier to run a small winery/meadery than a brewery, but can be done though.

I was just reading in Southern Brew News that a company that did only wine got a license to start brewing beer and they started out with 10 gallon batches to find what they wanted to brew and while they waiting for their larger equipment. I forgot what company it was.

Depends on the state, but I'm pretty sure they operate under two different licenses regardless.

Yea, I know for a fact that in CA they are two separate licenses, which is a bummer because I would love Two Kids to make/sell mead and melomel. I don't think there would be a problem with the two sharing a lot although the law might require that they are physically separated (two different buildings that don't touch). Best to consult a lawyer who specializes in breweries/wineries and ABC/TTB licensing. Probrewer.com may be more helpful in the short term, though. I also know that Wiens winery has recently added a nanobrewery. I believe their brewer posts here and on probrewer.com if you can track him down, though Wiens is also in CA.

I was just reading in Southern Brew News that a company that did only wine got a license to start brewing beer and they started out with 10 gallon batches to find what they wanted to brew and while they waiting for their larger equipment. I forgot what company it was.

Are you talking about Valley Vineyards, east of Cincinnati? If so, then yes, that is exactly what they are doing. They are brewing in their wine cellar...10 gallons at a time. I think the Brewer said he is brewing 150 gallons a week. Also said that they are waiting for a 3BBL system IIRC

Oh, and very good beer too!

I just went through this while starting the Sante Adairius Rustic Ales brewery in Capitola, CA.

In California, a brewery and a winery can only operate under the same roof if they are owned by the same business entity, otherwise a wall must separate the two. They require separate state licenses: a type 23 for the microbrewery and a type 02 for the winery.

We were shot down because my winery is a husband/wife partnership and my brewery was an LLC with a different partner. I had to pull my winery out of there, and sold my ownership of the LLC to my partner as a result. The brewery exists in that location now.

Back