hoff-stevens ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabeast

Reaction score
Hi I resently got a realy old jocky box withmade buy shlitz with a tap a cold plate, a realy old metal cooler and all the hook ups including a hoff-steavens coupler. I was going to convert it to use with my corny kegs. So I have no use for the Hoff-stevens tap or atachments . Are they worth anything or junk . Oh and I also have an antique co2 regulator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan

You might get $30-40 for the coupler on Ebay, but that's about it. There aren't particularly rare or anything. They were mass-produced at one point.

TopherM said:
You might get $30-40 for the coupler on Ebay, but that's about it. There aren't particularly rare or anything. They were mass-produced at one point.

Thanks what about the cold plate is a 10 x 15 single

The cold plate probably isn't worth much of anything if you sell it separate from the jockey box. I'd repurpose it if you aren't going to use it with the box. Maybe use it as a submergible prechiller?

Hi I resently got a realy old jocky box withmade buy shlitz with a tap a cold plate, a realy old metal cooler and all the hook ups including a hoff-steavens coupler. I was going to convert it to use with my corny kegs. So I have no use for the Hoff-stevens tap or atachments . Are they worth anything or junk . Oh and I also have an antique co2 regulator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan

There isn't much use for a Hoff Stevens coupler these days. The kegs are going away as the remaining ones are replaced with modern Sankey kegs.

But you should use the cold plate for your jockey box. Stainless steel coil jocky boxes work better, but only if someone keeps the ice topped off & against the coil. But no-one ever does in a home jockey box and as the ice melts away from the top part of the coil you immediately start loosing cooling capacity. The cold plate will be 100% covered by ice water and you will have 100% of its cooling capacity until the last bit of ice melts.

I'd have a careful look at that coldplate before discarding it or selling it off on the cheap because some of the really really old ones were made from sterling silver. Silver is a prefered metal because it has very good thermal conductivity compared to most other metals. Most modern coldplates are made from some alloy of aluminum because it has good thermal conductivity too. Aluminum, not worth much, silver, worth a SMALL fortune.

I've been involved in the soda business for many years and I have never heard of or seen a silver soda dispenser silver cold plate.

But in case I'm wrong, the outside surface will be black.

It would also be insanely heavy. Silver is way heavier than aluminum. I can't imagine a cold plate made out of silver it would cost at least $10,000

$10,000 in today's money. But I remember when silver was less than $3.00 / ounce.

But I still don't believe they exist, at least not in old soda machines. There are some newer high performance CPU coolers with sterling silver cold plates that make contact with the top of the CPU. I wonder if this is where the comment came from.

Back