Home Brew at work - Legal Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolecioffe

Reaction score
Hey guys, we always celebrate thirsty Thursdays at my office and we were thinking about starting to brew our own beer.

Does anyone know if there are any legal issues?

We are located in Manhattan, we would not be selling the alcohol, and everyone involved is 21+

Please and thank you for your help!

I dont see what the issue would be....
Just a group of homebrewers brewing and drinking....

Now your work may have some insurance liability issue or something but legally I say BREW ON!

I live in NY too.

Here's a link that covers it: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/new-york/. It's a little old and kind of unclear about the legality, but everything seems to be related to selling, not making.

I've been brewing a few years. Never had an issue, and there are a lot of HBS open in NY, so someone is getting away with it.

Hopefully Bloomberg doesn't have his own agenda on this.

Might be a liability for the business if someone gets trashed and has an accident on the way home.

As long as there's no form of exchange, be it selling, or bartering then there's nothing to worry about legally. There may be liability issues or corporate policies in play, but that's an internal matter and has nothing to do with the laws regarding homebrewing.

Back