Ikea Swing Top Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw those on my last trip and I passed on them....they don't have anywhere near the sealing pressure of my swingtops and the sealing area doesn't provide as much contact surface.

I saw those bottles as well, they look really cool, but you would probably have to replace the gaskets with gaskets from grolsch bottles, and who knows if they will fit properly. It would be cool to have one or two to watch your beer carbonate, but other than that I wouldn't go with them on bulk. The clear glass won't block out some of the more harmful light rays that can ruin your beer. Always go with brown glass.

I've got two.

The rubber gromets are small and you have to be real careful to make sure you've got a proper seal. But they did seal and the beer carbed up good.

I was getting a chill haze with all my beer that would go away after ~6 weeks of cold conditioning so I used a couple of these bottles for each batch to see when the chill haze had disappated.

Rudeboy

Is it only beer that gets ruined from light? Or can carbonated apfelwein or mead get affected by UV light as well?

I was intending to store mostly still mead or apfelwein in these and I was more concerned that if I decided to carbonate in these bottles that they might break or explode.

My understanding is that it is the hops in beer that have a problem with light.

Therefore, apfelwien or mead should not have any problem.

They don't look very sturdy to me. They might not handle carbonation very well and we all know what that leads to....

I use them all the time. I have done two batches of apfelwein in them, and one for each batch of beer (to watch the process better.)

The gaskets do not need to be replaced, they are sturdy enough for carbonation, and stand up to multiple uses.

Back