Optimal hoppiness - should I add DME late in the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoogles

Reaction score
So me and some friends are brewing a hop bomb today. Ive heard a larger boil is better for that because the wort retains more bitterness when there is less sugar in it.. is that true and if so should i add my DME and sr in lte in the boil? How late? Thanks!

Yeah, I've read and heard that maximum bitterness extraction is achieved in a wort with a gravity of 1.030. So you can use your favorite brewing software to figure out how much extract to add to your volume of water to get to 1.030. Add that amount as your wort comes to a boil, then add bittering hops, and add the remaining extract about 15 minutes before the end of the boil. For 5 gallons, I think about 3.5 pounds should give roughly 1.030.

Using a brewing software to calculate this is a good idea, since then you can estimate the IBUs, taking gravity, hop alpha acids, amount of hops, boil time, water volume, moon phase and whatnot into account. ;)

Back