Fermenting Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerB4Liquor

Reaction score
Hello all my beer brewing affectionados.

Three weeks ago I brewed up a 5 gal batch of Belgian Witbier. I put it down in my unheated lower hobby room (constant 60 degs). I never noticed any fermenting action taking place. A week and a half later I re-pitched it with with Muntons Ale yeast. Again no fermenting action. Today, a week and a half later, I was going to bottle it anyway and hope for the best. I would love to hear your comments on whether this is a good idea or not.

Did you take gravity readings with a hydrometer? Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean it's not fermenting. The only way to be sure is to take gravity readings. Good luck

Did you take gravity readings with a hydrometer? Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean it's not fermenting. The only way to be sure is to take gravity readings. Good luck

No I didn't. For some reason, I don't think that Midwest even printed the OG and FG on the instruction sheet. I'll have to see if I saved it.

Probebly fermented out with a bad seal on the fermenter. You need to take a fg reading just to be sure.

+1 on gravity readings. Always, always, always take gravity readings, it is the only way to know for sure what your beer is doing, how strong it will be, when it is done fermenting etc.

Midwest has it printed at the top right corner. If you threw the directions away, download the PDF file from their site. The link is a the product page when you select to put it in the cart.... You'll see it.

+1 to what other people said. You probably had a bad seal on your fermenter, so you wouldn't see any bubbling. Take the gravity readings a couple times over the next week and if it stays constant you should be good to bottle/force carb

Thanks to all. I will take an FG reading today and download the pdf. I also learned my lesson and will always take gravity readings and document them.

OK Ladies and Gents,

I took a FG reading and it came up 1.014 which is right I need to be (1.012/1.014). The ABF was right at 5. My neighbor and new brew partner came over and we bottled up the beer. We got 53 bottles out of the 5+ gallons. Now it's time to wait 2 weeks for it to carbonate. WooHoo!!! :D

Back