St. Patty's Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying my first stout in the hopes it will be done by St. Patty's day (i'm kegging)

Here is a recipe i've thrown together based on a colaboration of other's I found on this site. Am I missing anything or using anything that will result in a bad combination.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: OatStraw Stout

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.65%
IBU (tinseth): 40.19
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - Maris Otter Pale (61.54%)
3 lb - Flaked Barley (23.08%)
1 lb - Roasted Barley (7.69%)
1 lb - Chocolate (7.69%)

HOPS:
2.25 oz - East Kent Goldings (AA 5) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min
2) Batch Sparge, Temp: 170 F
OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084

Looks like it will be tasty. I think some of the more experienced brewers may tell you to cut back on the flaked barley. Should be good by St. Patty's day. It looks like a good recipe, I'd drink it!

If I were you I'd get brewing on it though, only a few days more than a month til you wanna tap that keg, and you want it conditioned enough that it has maximum deliciousness

If I were you I'd get brewing on it though, only a few days more than a month til you wanna tap that keg, and you want it conditioned enough that it has maximum deliciousness

Yeah due to vday yesterday i wasn't able to get to the LHBS probably won't be able till o saturday.

I hadn't seen the flaked barley was a problem, going to look into that. Thanks!

What pressure are you planning on placing it when you keg? I'm doing a stout this weekend as well....looks like we're on the same schedule!

Well since I will hopefully have my 4 way regulated manifold installed into the keezer by that time I plan on using this chart and setting it to around 10 PSI. Stouts should only have 1.7 - 2.3 based on the charts recommendation. I could bump it up to 12 and should still be fine if I don't get the keezer done in time. I don't force carb, I give it a natural 2 weeks normally, but time may be an issue to get it done by Patty's day, so some shaking may occur.

I don't force carb, I give it a natural 2 weeks normally, but time may be an issue to get it done by Patty's day, so some shaking may occur.

Don't shake it. Try the method I use. Rack to keg and put in kegerator, put it on 30 PSI and bleed the keg of any oxygen. Let it sit for 2 1/2 - 3 days on 30 PSI and then switch over to normal serving pressure and drink. No shaking at all and has never done me wrong. Good luck and looks like a tasty recipe.

Thanks Coldies, I will probably go that route if time does become an issue. I try to avoide it based on the LONG natural carbonation thread on here and the detailed graph that's provided about natural carbonation vs 30psi method, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get your drink on.

Looks like it will be tasty. I think some of the more experienced brewers may tell you to cut back on the flaked barley.

Can anyone comment a little more on why the flaked barley should be cut back, and what I should replace the grain % with? I'm having trouble finding a resource on this.

Well as I have learned it flaked barley is used to aid in head retention and percieved mouthfeel of the beer. Most recipes I have seen seem to haver around 10% flaked of the total grain bill. So to get the desired effect from the flaked barley a pound maybe a pound and a half should be plenty. Then just increase your Marris Otter to make up the difference. Otherwise just go with what you got and see how it turns out:rockin:. Still will be good beer.

Thanks Tim! So I can adjust the Flaked down to about 1.5# and up the Marris to 9.5-10#. This should increase the OG gravity, because it's my undertanding the flaked barley doesn't add much in terms of sugars.

That's how I understand it. If you are using a brewing calculator you can just play around until your numbers look right.

Thanks, I think I am going to brew this up tomorrow for St. Patty's day. Seems like every year I am forgetting about this all-important drinking holiday. Hopefully a month will be enough time to get it brewed, kegged, and carbed!

Well looks like you will be brewing it before me then. I've had something come up and am leaving town tonight, and haven't had a chance to go to my LHBS to get the ingredients. Hopefully I will have enough time to drive the 1.5 hours to the LHBS and brew on Sunday.

Back