When You guys buy Pound bags of hops do you break them up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Im thinking about buying a bunch of fresh hops from Hop Union in lb bags. Do you guys break them up using food saver bags when you so this? My plan was to buy them break them up into 1oz bags and throw them in the freezer for future use

I buy from www.hopsdirect.com. Instead of breaking into smaller bags, I just reseal them into a large foodsaver bag (1# per bag). When I need hops, I cut the bag open, take out what I need, then vaccum/reseal.

Foodsaver is a must. There are cheap models that will work perfectly. I suggest the rolls of bags instead of the individual bags.

And in the freezer how long are hops good for? Im hoping for at least 6 months to a year. I know the AAU's fade.

And in the freezer how long are hops good for? Im hoping for at least 6 months to a year. I know the AAU's fade.

Easily two years if well taken care of. Remember that if you buy hops in, say, July, those hops are already almost a year old since the harvest is in the fall. So, if you buy fresh dried hops (or the fresh pellets) and vacuum seal them in the freezer, you may have them last for 2+ years without any degrading of flavor, aroma, or bitterness.

I do separate them out when I get them, in "single brew sized" packages with my foodsaver. Then, when I need three ounces of cascades I just grab out what I need.

I tried separating into individual bags but my vacuum bags never keep a great seal so I worried about oxygen and moisture leaking in. Plus it was a pain. Then I read a post about someone using mason jars and a vacuum sealer accessory. Now I have no worries... vacuum sealed mason jars are a sure thing and easy as pie.

Food Saver Wide Mouth Jar Sealer

You do need a hand vac... but the cheap Reynolds one I had works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried separating into individual bags but my vacuum bags never keep a great seal so I worried about oxygen and moisture leaking in. Plus it was a pain. Then I read a post about someone using mason jars and a vacuum sealer accessory. Now I have no worries... vacuum sealed mason jars are a sure thing and easy as pie.

Food Saver Wide Mouth Jar Sealer

You do need a hand vac... but the cheap Reynolds one I had works great.

Those reynolds vac bags are trash. Big waste.

I bought 4lbs from hopsdirect and I also used a foodsaver. I weighed out 1oz portions and wrapped them in foil, then I vacuum sealed four 1oz foil portions per bag, so I ended up with about 4 bags per pound. I pre-measured them so I wouldn't need a scale on brew day.

After reading about it in one of my beer books, I use mason jars now. Just fill them up and bleed off some co2 into it before you put the lid on and it gets rid of the oxygen. Then put it in the freezer. O2 free and frozen and they seem to keep forever.

Seeing as how it's almost hop season I started experimenting with the mason jars idea. (I'm lucky as hell that my wife has all the stuff necessary. She has shelf's full of empty jars, two foodsavers, the jar vacuum kit.... life is good.) I've always resealed the original bags but after several openings and reseals the bags get small. My plan now is to open the bag and use what I need and then fill a mason jar and vacuum that each time. When that's used up open the bag and repeat the process. Will I really need to purge the jar each time with CO2?

pellets = Mason Jars
Leaf = 4 oz bags for me

I stopped buying by the pound however, although I did bag up my home grown hops recently.

I've got some 3 year old Magnum that is still in great shape in the vac seal bags.

pellets = Mason Jars
Leaf = 4 oz bags for me

I stopped buying by the pound however, although I did bag up my home grown hops recently.

I've got some 3 year old Magnum that is still in great shape in the vac seal bags.

Yep, mine are all pellets.

Get wide-mouth mason jars.
Get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005TN7H/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
mouth-jar-sealer-150x150.jpg

Get one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html
image_11800.jpg

The brake bleeder cone fits into the hole in the jar sealer. Use whatever size mason jars you want. Use hops, reseal, repeat.

I've always used the food saver bags but I thought I read somewhere that they are not actual oxygen barriers. Has anyone else heard this? Any need to get the Mylar bags like the lbs come in or are the food saver ones ok?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I too have been using foodsaver bags. I have had some problems with the seal breaking and letting oxygen in on some of the older bags (could be an issues with the foodsaver/ operator error:drunk:) I like the idea of wrapping the hops in foil first.

Back