Musty twang in Belgian Golden Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balazs

Reaction score
I have a belgian golden strong that has been in bottles for just over 2 months. I've had the bottles lagering after two weeks in the bottle. I used WLP 570 and am getting this musty twang to the beer. I had the beer analized by a judge and he said the musty flavor tastes like oxidation. He said the beer tasted old. This is my first time using the WLP 570 yeast and am wondering if this flavor is from the yeast that hasn't dropped out of the beer yet being that the beer is young and not old. Can anyone that has experience with this yeast tell me if this flavor that I am talking about is yeast derived and will drop out over proper aging. If not I guess I screwed up somewhere and oxidized my beer. Everything else in this beer tastes great. It just has a finish that is not quite right.

Recipe:

10 lbs. pilsener
1 lb. wheat
3 lbs. Invert Sugar
2L Starter of WL 570
90 Second oxygen blast before pitching yeast with a standard homebrewshop oxygen valve and .5 micron stone
Fermented at 64 and ramped to 82 over the course of the primary
Cold Crashed after reaching terminal gravity 1070 to 1007
Added gelitan and left in fridge for another week cold
Added a little rehydrated Notty to the bottling bucket for proper carbing and then bottled the batch
Let bottles condition for two weeks and have had the beers in a refrigerator since.

Only possible issues I could see would be a little too high a percentage of sugar, too much O2 causing excessive growth phase, more conditioning needed for clean up of byproducts, too much oxygen exposure after fermentation, such as during racking to secondary or during bottling.
My guess would be exposure causing oxidation.

Time...

Belgian Strongs can take awhile to condition. It might be worthwhile to store the bottles at cellar/room temp for a month, then cool one down and see what ya think.

Just an update on this. The twang has greatly lifted from the beer. It is still just a little present but does mellow in time. So, for everyone who suggested more time...you were right. Next time I brew this I will know to just let it sit for 6 months before even touching it. This yeast takes alot of time to drop and condition out.

Latest posts

Back