American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exst said:
Hey Guys - Looks like this will be my next brew.

Slight variation on a theme

Partial Mash – 60 min @ 152
2 lb. Rahr 2-Row Malt
1 lb. German Munich
8 oz. Medium Crystal 60L
8 oz. Carapils
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Rye malt

2 oz Columbus (pellet) - .5 oz @ 60, 0.75 oz @ 20, 0.75oz @ 5

Amber Malt Extract 6 lb

Nottingham Ale Yeast

Will be brewing in the next week or so - I have some extra Columbus Hops. Any thoughts on dry hopping this one? I like the idea but I don't want the Hops to overwhelm the Malt / Rye spiciness.

- Exst

I brewed close to this version last Sunday and was my first partial mash with more than 2# of grain. My efficiency was very low, around 60%, and I only used 3# Amber dme to get closer to a 5% abv. my SG was 1.050 and I pitched Wyeast 1028 London ale hoping for a sub-1.010 FG.

I have lofty plans to pitch a big beer onto the yeast cake after transferring to secondary. I'm thinking double IPA?

Fermentation seems to have finished by the 96 hour mark, one of the faster finishes I've seen.

Over two weeks in the primary and I'm stuck at 1.02. . The notty was very slow to start and never reached it's normal wild and quick fermentation. I'm thinking of racking to a secondary, repitching, and giving it another two weeks to finish and clear.

On the positive side this beer has excellent flavor. Thanks cweston and everyone else for the input and keeping this thread alive! Wish me luck :mug:

I brewed this recipe last May and it was a big hit. The only change I made to the recipe was the use of Cascade hops. Since I am drinking the last bottle as I’m writing this reply I think I need to do this one again very soon.

Any thoughts on substituting rye malt for the flaked rye? (I have 15 pounds of it)

I’m also thinking of using Citra, Simcoe or Amarillo for the hops this time. Any thoughts?

Amarillo !!!
I am drinking this beer now. It's one of those beers that made me wish I could do 10 gallon batches.

Alright, I popped open the first beer after a month of bottle conditioning. The results are pretty astounding - very close to Founder's Reds Rye. I found it to be a tad less crisp - potentially due to the water profile and reduction of hops. But the Color, Aroma, and Malt profile is damn close.

No food coloring. Here is my exact brew:

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.2 %
1.66 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 13.1 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
1.00 lb CaraRed (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (30 min) Hops 28.6 IBU
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (15 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 6 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale
Alch 5.5%

Sure, it should be easy to use all syrup but you will have to mash the rye. It's so little that you can do it in a pot with a grain sack.

Just thought I would thank the op for posting the recipe. I brewed it today. So in a month or so i'll let you know how it turns out. Sounds like a nice beer. Smelled amazing brewing.

I have been drinking this one for a few days now and it is freaking awesome! Unfortunately, it may only last a few more days.

This was my first rye and I stuck to the recipe. I suggest others do the same on the first batch and tweek it to your own tastes on subsequent batches. I am going to bump up the rye next time. I just love the rye flavor and my new mashtun design has eliminated stuck mashes using rye, wheat, corn, rice, sweet potatoe, graham crackers, breakfast cereals, etc..

I'm no beer judge but I'd score it 40/50. Nice color (not quite red), perfectly clear. Heck , I'm getting off the computer and getting one right now!

Mikethepoolguy said:
I have been drinking this one for a few days now and it is freaking awesome! Unfortunately, it may only last a few more days.

This was my first rye and I stuck to the recipe. I suggest others do the same on the first batch and tweek it to your own tastes on subsequent batches. I am going to bump up the rye next time. I just love the rye flavor and my new mashtun design has eliminated stuck mashes using rye, wheat, corn, rice, sweet potatoe, graham crackers, breakfast cereals, etc..

I'm no beer judge but I'd score it 40/50. Nice color (not quite red), perfectly clear. Heck , I'm getting off the computer and getting one right now!

That is great to hear. I still have mine in the primary for a few more days. I'm looking forward to tying this one.

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of adding a few drops of red food coloring into the secondary. Any advice or opinion on this?

Hey, piping in a bit late here, but your post got me thinking. It would be cool to mega-dose a good beer with red food coloring to make it a grossly red color, like bright red. Hide the flavor through a freaky color. Then take a sip and, wow, that's a good and surprising beer!

Some would say this is a sac-religious idea, but they can stick it :rockin: :cross:

I really want to brew a red rye and this one looks great!

I have a question about the hops though. Putting the recipe through beersmith and a few other recipe calculators I keep coming up with right around 45-48 ibus. I'm wondering, how did you manage 36? I even set the AA% to 13 like you had posted.

Has anyone else who may have brewed this a few times have any insight on this? 10 or more ibus is definitely gonna change the flavor quite a bit I would assume. I'm a big hops fan but I don't wanna screw with the recipe without trying it the way it was posted first.

I plan on making this but already have some crystal 60 L, how much do you think that would change the color?

Well I brewed this last night with my crystal 60 as planned and the color seems pretty close to the original recipe. I also used Wyeast 1056 cause that's what the LHBS had, i'll post some results in a couple weeks.

EDIT: Just tansfered this to secondary and took my final gravity reading yesterday. The flat and room temp. sample my friends and I tasted was excellent! Can't wait for this one to be done. FG was 1.010 so my abv is looking to be 5.41%.

I brewed this up last night. This is my first rye ale, and I've gotta say, the smell of that bag of crushed grain in my car coming home from the LHBS was delicious. Is smelled even better in the mash tun.

This will be the first batch of beer that I've kegged to. A bunch of firsts!

The people questioning the IBU's... when I put the recipe in BeerSmith, I got 45.8 IBU's for my 5.5 gallon batch.

This was a bit green till now but boy is it getting tasty! Took this picture after about a minute or two of pouring and this is how much head stayed for the rest of the beer. I do think it could use maybe just a Tad more bitterness, but I'd definitely brew this one again!

View attachment 2012-01-05 21.16.51.jpg

Personally, I just followed the directions to a T (or as close as I could) and went with the exact ingredients and measurements/amounts. If there is something I don't like about it, I can then modify it. I'm getting ready to transfer mine to secondary for a week or two very soon. Then I'll keg it and see how it tastes...

Well, I use White Labs WLP005 yeast with this one, and just checked my FG after two weeks and it was at 1.020. I wonder if I didn't mash this stuff correctly. My OG was 1.058, so my efficiency was better then I expected. It still calculates to about 5% ABV, not too shabby. It was pretty clear in the hydrometer tube, and tasted awesome. A little on the hoppy side, but it was perfect with the malt and rye flavors.

Is 1.020 too high of a FG??? It's getting kegged, so I'm not worried about bottle bombs...

Snevey, you probably mashed a little bit high. It's a great recipe though and will turn out good. I checked my notes and I finished at 7 points the first time and 6 points with a modified recipe both using Notty. I made it as a lager with S-23 and finished at 12 points.

Brewing this up tomorrow but the lhbs didn't have special b so I went with cara-aroma. Ill also be pitching this onto a wyeast 1056 cake because its what's around and I've kind of wanted to try this lazy method for a while.

I had a couple "red rye red amber"'s from Downers? last night for dinner. It was very different from any other beer I have had... and I really liked it. It reminded me of a red ale, with incredible aroma like a red Beaujolais wine and had carbonation like a champagne. Is this common in red rye beers? If not, what direction should I start to clone something like this? I have a red amber fermenting that is looking good and the sample I tested with the hydro was fantastic, but noting like this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I had a couple "red rye red amber"'s from Downers? last night for dinner. It was very different from any other beer I have had... and I really liked it. It reminded me of a red ale, with incredible aroma like a red Beaujolais wine and had carbonation like a champagne. Is this common in red rye beers? If not, what direction should I start to clone something like this? I have a red amber fermenting that is looking good and the sample I tested with the hydro was fantastic, but noting like this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps if you remembered the brewery of the beer you had we could look it up. If you're looking for something with a musky dark red wine aroma you can perhaps oak the beer or steep a small bit of tea to add tannins, and overcarbonate to get the large champaign-like bubbles?

Perhaps if you remembered the brewery of the beer you had we could look it up. If you're looking for something with a musky dark red wine aroma you can perhaps oak the beer or steep a small bit of tea to add tannins, and overcarbonate to get the large champaign-like bubbles?

Here is what I was drinking: Founders Red Rye PA

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/16074

What mostly intrigues me is how to get such a strong aroma and carbonation. I've found some different red rye PA recipes, but I really want to know how this was done... our Am I making it to complicated and this is yet just another different recipe?

BW210 said:
Here is what I was drinking: Founders Red Rye PA

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/16074

What mostly intrigues me is how to get such a strong aroma and carbonation. I've found some different red rye PA recipes, but I really want to know how this was done... our Am I making it to complicated and this is yet just another different recipe?

Carbonation is just adding appropriate/more sugar at bottling for bottle conditioning. The aroma is probably the combination of the Belgian carmel malt and a big Amarillo dry hop.

You're right, it's just another recipe :)

Brewed this one up last night and cant wait to try it. They hydro sample was fantastic. I didnt stray from the recipe at all and fly sparged for the first time. My eff. went through the roof ( due to teh fly sparge, I guess) and ended with an OG of 1056. Very excited for this one. :mug:

Brewed this up today. If the finished product taste as good as the hydro sample, this is gonna be a great beer. Thanks for sharing.

just wanted to chime in on this recipe. i pretty much brewed this recipe a while back, i upped the base malt and rye by .25 lbs to get a slightly lighter, dryer beer. i kept everything else the same, using Columbus hops @ 14% aa in the same amounts. i used Wy1272, after hearing that strain works great in rye beer.... it does! i have to say this recipe was a big hit, we floated the keg in ~2 weeks, which is pretty fast in our house. even my neighbors, who're die hard Keith Stone fans, loved it! i'll definitely be brewing this again soon! thanks for the recipe!

Just kegged up my second batch of this beer but I gotta wait till I kick my oatmeal stout before it gets pressure... was thinking of carbing this to about 2.5 volumes, does that sound good for this style?

I am getting ready to bottle this bacth. Tasty brew calculates 4oz of priming sugar. Just curious what amounts others primed with.

for the posters asking about IBU's in this recipe. I did 4 half ounce additions at 50-20-10-1 with columbus hops 11.1%AA to get 36 IBUs

Just brewed this yesterday! Can't wait to taste the results. I loved the copper color the wort was coming out the mash tun. Ill keep you posted

ForumRunner_20120401_182313.jpg

Just tasted it. Wow! Very nice. My first rye and I really like the body to this beer. A nice balance between bittering and Hoppiness. I really appreciate the recipe. I will deffinately brew this again!

ForumRunner_20120420_220705.jpg

Back