Added WYeast Propagator directly into batch without using the starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Help!

A friend got a brew kit from midwest with a small version of the smack pack.

I failed to read the directions assuming it was like the other smack packs but it isnt.

You have to make a starter etc.

So my scotch ale isnt fermenting yet. Will it take an extra day to start? It has yeast cells in the propagator so I hope it works eventually.

I have a dry yeast pack that I could add to get it started! Please help!:drunk:

Thanks for youre input.

I called WYest company (awesome company) and was advised to pick up another propagator and do the starter this time but only wait 8 hours and shake as much as possible.

I just hope that the wort doesnt get infected. It is airtight but obviously the yeast will lag.

It was the small pack with 25 billion cell count.

Damn im stupid for assuming too much!:drunk:

Here's the best tip I can give you... don't worry so much! I was the same way when I started, but it seems that in homebrewing, things almost always work out for the best no matter what you do.

Well right now I swished it around in the whirl motion and it foamed up.

I have it in my room now in a blanket to stop the light affecting it.

Its warmer in my bedroom and I hear that will help the yeast I placed in without the starter... What do you think?

Wow,

ok this is my forth batch of beer made and its in the 6.5 primary carboy.

Its bubbling like crazy and the krasen? is going higher than any other beer ive made. It might over flow sometime in a day.

Im glad I did this on the weekend as ill be home to keep an eye on it.

Does the higher the krasen mean that the beers fermentation is a better one?

Thanks!:off:

WYeast has a listing of all of their yeasts on their website at http://www.wyeastlab.com. If you look up the yeast that you're using there is a recommended fermentation temperature.

For example 1007 German Ale Yeast lists 55-68° F, and in the description it mentions fermentations at 70-75° F may produce some mild fruitiness. Typically a fermentation in my basement is around 68-70°. With my Altbier I have fermenting right now in the basement, I put it on the floor instead of keeping it up on a table to make sure fermentation holds around 62-65° and hopefully keep the flavor clean (based on this description and feedback from my LHBS).

I recommend checking out your yeast!

Jason

Back