Capped one gallon jugs for mead clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
My first melomel has had too much sediment in it. So after a few rackings, I'm down to about 3 gallons of melomel. I picked up a couple of 1 gallon glass jugs from my LHBS and I asked about airlocks. The lady said that since it's done fermenting (I did it back in August), that the included cap will be fine. Any thoughts?

My first melomel has had too much sediment in it. So after a few rackings, I'm down to about 3 gallons of melomel. I picked up a couple of 1 gallon glass jugs from my LHBS and I asked about airlocks. The lady said that since it's done fermenting (I did it back in August), that the included cap will be fine. Any thoughts?

Are you sure it is done?

I think it would be safer to use an airlock. Those gallon glass jugs take a 6.5 stopper. If you are going to use the caps I would loosen them every now and then just in case.

Are you sure it is done?

I think it would be safer to use an airlock. Those gallon glass jugs take a 6.5 stopper. If you are going to use the caps I would loosen them every now and then just in case.

I can take a gravity so I can get a good idea, but I think I'm going to use my airlocks on them. Thanks.

Back