Brewing Classic Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
I was SO pumped to finally get this book as a gift this weekend.

I'm bummed though because over half the recipes call for a 90 minute boil if you're doing all-grain. I don't have the kettle capacity for a 90 minute boil.

Am I going to have to wait until I can afford a larger kettle to do these recipes, or can I convert them to 60 minutes with beersmith?? I just dont' want to change the outcome of the beer or that would defeat the purpose of using these great recipes.

Thoughts??

You can scale it, no problem, unless you have a high amount of Pils in your recipe. To drive off DMS when a large proportion of the grain bill is Pilsner malt, a 90 minute boil is definitely recommended.

Canned corn aromas and flavors are no bueno!

You can scale it, no problem, unless you have a high amount of Pils in your recipe. To drive off DMS when a large proportion of the grain bill is Pilsner malt, a 90 minute boil is definitely recommended.

Canned corn aromas and flavors are no bueno!

Well, that's what all the 90 minute boils in that book say. "To drive off DMS".

So does that mean I can't make it a 60 minute boil??

you can do a 60 minute boil. i generally do only 60 min unless i have a large portion of pilsner in the grain bill.

you also could get slightly darker colored beers from 90 minute boils. i wouldn't say it is always beneficial.

how big is your kettle anyway?

Well, that's what all the 90 minute boils in that book say. "To drive off DMS".

So does that mean I can't make it a 60 minute boil??

How large is your pot? What kind of boiloff rate are you getting?

Provided you are getting below 140 quickly during cooling, you can adjust for a 60 minute boil. Also, don't cover the wort while it's still steaming hot. The DMS compounds are carried out of solution by steam, so you don't want it condensing on the lid then falling back in.

you can do a 60 minute boil. i generally do only 60 min unless i have a large portion of pilsner in the grain bill.

you also could get slightly darker colored beers from 90 minute boils. i wouldn't say it is always beneficial.

how big is your kettle anyway?

I have a 7.5 gallon kettle. I boil off about 1 gallon/hour. So I usually start with around 6.5 gallons of pre-boil volume and finish around 5.5 gallons.

so why couldn't you start at 7 gallons and finish at 5.5 for a 90 minute boil? you may have to watch closely to avoid boilover, but i do it all the time with my 30 quart kettle.

You could also start with 7 gallons, boil for 30 minutes, add 1/2 gallon of water back, and then boil for 1 hour to get to 6 gallons at the end of the boil. In the end you are boiling off a net of 1 gallon, but still getting the advantage of boiling for 90 minutes to drive off the DMS. This is what I did when used a 30 qt pot.

so why couldn't you start at 7 gallons and finish at 5.5 for a 90 minute boil? you may have to watch closely to avoid boilover, but i do it all the time with my 30 quart kettle.

I suppose I could do that. I just thought that it would be cutting it too close as far as boilovers. I also have to schlep the kettle down a flight of stairs after the sparge, so it's a balancing act. Do you use a spray bottle or anything for the foam??

I usually just lift up the pot off the burner until it goes down and then I set it back on the burner. I usually have to do this 3 times.

i just adjust the heat accordingly on my propane burner, maybe blow on it if i have to.

why in the world do you have to carry your wort downstairs??? can't you just set it up so you have water available already down there, that way you can do your mash and everything on th spot?

i just adjust the heat accordingly on my propane burner, maybe blow on it if i have to.

why in the world do you have to carry your wort downstairs??? can't you just set it up so you have water available already down there, that way you can do your mash and everything on th spot?

Dude, I have to carry it downstairs to the turkey fryer. I can't let my mash sit in a 40 degree garage. It will never keep the heat during the mash and sparge.

I'm working on a better mash/sparge setup. I don't currently have the igloo coolers. I have to use the Zapap (bucket in a bucket). This system sucks as far as retaining heat. I just don't have the cash to upgrade the way I want right this minute.

I'm in the process of trying to find a good deal on some round igloo coolers.

that sucks. an igloo will help a bunch. wrap a blanket around it and you won't have to worry about any heat loss, even in 40°F weather.

Really? That's awesome. I have to get one. Do most people go with the 10 gallon or the 5 gallon???

Also, how hard is it to convert your own cooler? Is it easier to pay for the pre-converted Igloo?

I think five gallon is great for 10 pounds or less grain. The more full the MLT the more steady temperature will stay. As I recall I spent $60 total for my five gallon MLT. I bought the water jug and fittings at the Home Depot and a false bottom from the classified section here. A simple braid would have cost less. I use a 42 qt. chest cooler with a manifold for larger batches. It cost me less because I already had most of the stuff for it.

Could you post a link for a good do-it-yourself construction of a cooler lauter tun? I'm sure there is a post on this site somewhere, but I can't find it in the DIY section.

Umm, same process.

I thought I read that the sizes were not all the same for square vs. round coolers? So it's the exact same equipment? What about the manifold? I thought you definitely did that different with a square/rectangle one?

MLT10.jpg

DSC01698.JPG

P1000936.JPG

Stolen pics.

My 10G igloo held temp fine for my last brew session. It was 21* and snowing outside and the water I spilled in the garage froze during the mash.

Just keep the cooler out of a direct wind and you should be good to go!

:mug:

Just read through the posts quickly. Did anyone recommend to the OP to scale the entire recipe back to a 3 or 4 gallon batch? You’ll end up with less beer, but you’ll have room for the 90 minute boil and be able to duplicate the original.

Hey, that’s my MLT up there! :rockin:

Back