When to refridgerate after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a five gallon batch of Cooper's Dark Ale that I had in the primary for 10 days. It was in the secondary for 2 weeks. I bottled it up a week ago. I refridgerated one today. It had plenty of carbonation but it needed some more conditioning time. Should I let it sit at room temp longer or should it go into the fridge now?:confused:

I'd leave your bottles at room temperature, and just chill them a few days before you want to serve/drink them.

In fact, take a few six packs and hide them way in the back of a cabinet somewhere. Do your best to forget they are even there...you'll be very pleased when you come across them six months later!

My beer continually improves with age, the last one from the keg always seems to be the best one.

lemon is spot on, I agree 100% allow at least 3 weeks in the bottle at room temps. When you decide you want to drink a few put them in the fridge, and leave the rest in the cabinet. I make a habit of hiding them in the closet and forget about them.
When it comes time to clean out the closet:mug:

My rule is 3 weeks at room temp, then I chill one for 2 days and test it. usually its perfect.

also, some beers should be drank 'young'. very light, delicate beers, like wits and kolsch don't really improve much with months of aging. That's the little exception to the rule. beyond that, I totally agree with lemon too...most beers do better after a solid month of aging, AFTER bottle carbonation has been achieved.

and a beer that's been oaked...give it 4 months for the oaky bite to subside.

Back