Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be great if Scuba Steve could post some plans and costs on how he built that brewstand. I love the look of it and I would definitely want to make it into a Brutus Ten type system. Classy...

CollinsBrew said:
It would be great if Scuba Steve could post some plans and costs on how he built that brewstand. I love the look of it and I would definitely want to make it into a Brutus Ten type system. Classy...

+1 to that! That has got to be one of the Sexiest stands that I have seen! I too am dreaming of a stand that I want to build.

Dude said:
Interesting. Any more progress?

Yeah. Brewed on it last saturday. Shot low on the recipe for efficiency (70%) and ended up really high in the brew. Beersmith calculates an actual mash efficiency of 112%. I know its skewed but it's nice to see numbers like that on the first go round.

If you want to see more, look here (too many photo's to include);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilaminumbeer/sets/72157603603715445/

heres my buddies that we de-virginized last weekend. First time I got to use a pump and have never seen recirculated runnings so clear. It worked great, and he got 70% for his first run.

stand_finished.JPG

and heres mine. Not as far along as his, but of course it will be so much better ;)

stand_welds_005.jpg

You guys remember that feeling when you met a big baseball/football star? The mouth open, eyes wide look? That's how I feel looking at your rigs. That could be me one day with lots of practice and hard work...Thanks for the inspiration!

Here is mine now that it has been painted. There are more pictures in my gallery.
Lots of very impressive systems on here. Nice work!

Final.JPG

Here is mine! Of course, i'm not as far along in my brewing as most of you all are. After my next two batches i'm going to try some partial mash.

Full_Setup.jpg

I think it is pretty good for starter. Of course, I have already been researching my next DIY projects...maybe next month sometime i'll make the stuff for PM.

foppa78 said:
Here is mine now that it has been painted. There are more pictures in my gallery.
Lots of very impressive systems on here. Nice work!

Final.JPG

Nice. I like the mash paddle in the shape of a hockey stick :rockin:

I can't wait to post, I can't wait to post, I can't wait to post!!!! I am almost there on mine. A few more pieces for total completion but... it will be brew-able Sunday. Still can't get the kettle polished so it may just have to look bad for the picture until I get to it. Lids and everything else are coming together nicely. Here's some pics so far.

The brew stand being painted.
DSCN1880.JPG

The newly insulated and "Line-X truck bed liner covered" Mash and Liquor Tuns. Woohoo!
DSCN1867.JPG

Here's one of the Plasti-Dip covered lids for the tuns.
6533-DSCN1698.JPG

Cannot wait. End caps and wiring for the stand, mash mixer and motor, and HLT water stirrer are all I'm lacking from being 100%. There are a lot of system here that make my jaw drop. I love this forum.

I finally got around to finishing mine this weekend. It is essentially the same as Lil' Sparky's original gravity-fed brewing tree with one little difference. I'm a lazy slob, so instead of welding the bottom tier directly onto the trunk, I put it onto a sleeve that can be raised and lowered with a boat winch. That way I don't have to pick up 10+ gallons of wort in order to drain it into my carboys. I plan on popping the cherry on this one next weekend.:ban:

winch.jpg

stand.jpg

stand 2.jpg

BOBBY, is that keg on the left the one that you polished? Where is the thred for how you did that? That is awesome!

Mine's still under construction, but should be operational soon. Two more burners and a pump are en route.

Starting pieces:
2396470752_b6b1f38552.jpg

Basic frame - not cleaned up yet:
2432026283_a6c0b3baae.jpg

Aaand the reason I'm taking a few weekends to build a stand. My neighbors were placing side bets on whether I'd be arrested for the fire hazard or for suspicion of cookin' up some of Pappy's White Lightnin'.
2330064596_705edd81b9.jpg

MadDwarf said:
...Basic frame - not cleaned up yet:
2432026283_a6c0b3baae.jpg

Hey, if you don't mind could you post a pic or two on how that burner is mounted.

I'm designing mine at the moment and am a little stumped on a way to mount similar burners.

Cheers!

It's not really the bricks I was worried about but more the plastic horses underneath. Man, that's a LOT of weight for those.

The burner on the new stand looks a little too close to the vessel if you ask me. You ought to drop it at least an inch.

denimglen - Here's a couple more shots that show the brackets a little better. I can get a closeup if this doesn't give enough detail. They're basically just L brackets that I cut slots in so that I could adjust the burner height. Dunno if I've got enough adjustment room or not yet, but was trying to leave myself some flexibility.

Bobby_M - You may be right - hopefully I'll know more this weekend. For what it's worth, I'm using keggles, so the bottom isn't quite as close as it would be with a flat-bottomed kettle.

2437167424_0bc326efb8_o.jpg

2436348635_640c781f3f_o.jpg

This is my current brewstand:
brewday6.JPG

Still working on a design for a real brewstand, so for now, I think I will re-read this thread and drool....;)

First off I need to thank ScubaSteve for teaching us that wood is not to be feared as a sculpture medium . My rig is made of cedar, and is a definite clone of his. Although not finished yet, is operationable:

BrewRig.jpg

Denimglen, I use two hurricane burners on either end of the rig (the low pressure version of the banjo).

burnermount.jpg

The mounting was pretty easy using leftover bits of the angle iron:

burner_connection.jpg

Since it will be outside all year(except winter), I have plans to build a removable top that goes on when the kegs are put away, and converts it into a bench!

Cheers,

Rhino

Thanks Rhino and MadDwarf, much appreciated.

Turns out my burners are different - they have 5 little 'feet' on the bottom.

Looks like I might just use a large piece of SS plate and make a bench-top type thing, can't think of any easy way to mount my burners :(

Rhino17 said:
First off I need to thank ScubaSteve for teaching us that wood is not to be feared as a sculpture medium . My rig is made of cedar, and is a definite clone of his. Although not finished yet, is operationable:

Lookin' good! I like the idea of turning your stand into a bench....it's all about stayin' off the SWMBO radar...:D

I also like how you mounted the Banjo.....they can be such a PITA to incorporate.....I know I stared at my rig for hours on end.:p

Back