What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing the first half of a double batch of IPA today.
Ordered some chemicals for cleaning.
Ordered some hop inventory.
Kegged up my Imperial IPA.

Drank my week old hefe, not close to being ready, but already is very good. I can't wait for it to be ready in a few weeks.

Continued waiting patiently for my first lager to ferment. It's fermenting happily away at 52 F right now and I 'm going to raise up to 65 F on Wednesday pending a gravity check. Then it's on to lagering. Can't wait for October.

Completed my power supply conversion to run cooling system for my diy fermentation chiller. I have 12vdc and 5vdc to run fans, pumps or whatever.

Got the Ranco duel stage controller wired up so the next step is to build the actual chamber and start testing.

Got my last fermenter cleaned out,bottling bucket as well. Got about a case of bottles from last batch to clean & store. Then it's time to order my 1st PM kit from midwest tomorrow morning. Their cascade pale ale PM kit got rave reviews. Should go fine with a couple new stove heating elements...:ban:

Cleaned up a blowout. Brewed a cherry dubbel last night and pitched WLP530. I couldn't get the blow off tube to stay on the bung so I gave up and used the airlock, praying I would be lucky (even though my gut said, " Hernando, your a dumbsheit"). Woke up this morning to a mighty fine mess, came into work smelling like amazing beer. Fortunately, my director is a brewer and I got a good belly laugh out of him today and at least he knows I wasn't drinking on the job at 6 AM.

Well,still got about a case of bottles to finish yet. Waiting for the HBT givaway on ustream to come on. Some SS brewing stuff that'd make PM easier would be great...

Bought some fittings to make install a VSG (valve-sightglass) assembly on my BK. All I need is some clear rigid tubing. Couldn't find any at HD or Lowes. Anyone know where I might find some?

I sanitized jars and boiled water for yeast washing tomorrow. If I am feeling fishy I might wash bottles for tomorrow's bottling session.

Finally finished my DIY stir plate.

Old computer fan, 7.5Vdc power supply, an empty cold cuts container, Hard drive magnet, and 1" stir bar bought from Austin Homebrew. Works like a charm.

brewed a Pale Ale that smells and tastes awesome. Shifted some carboys around- took some temp readings

Kegged some blackberry wheat. (should have kegged a week a ago), sampled the IIPA and added another 2oz of hops in secondary, sampled the apricot ale thats been sitting on 15lbs of apricots for about a week. Put keg of kolsch back in fridge hope the yeast cleaned out the buttery flavor, the smell was gone when I blew off some co2 fingers crossed i should have known 7 days was a little to short before kegging

Well,I still have two armloads of recently emptied bottles to wash. Ordered my 1st partial mash kit from midwest this morning,their PM cascade pale ale. Ordered all the New Zeland hops they had for 25% off as well! 3 ounces each of; Motueka,Pacifica,Super Alpha,Gem,& Wakatu.The descriptions on midwest site were interesting in that they have some very unique flavors to them. Lemon,lemongrass,lemon/lime,floral,oaky,blackberry,etc. Sounded so darn good I just had to have 3 of each for 15oz TTL. Got 2 ounces left in freezer,so I'll be stocked up for a couple batches anyway. If I find the heating elements at home cheapo today istead of ordering,the stove'll get fixed today as well. Gotta clean up the mancave since the video software on my camera is workin again. New videos will be forthcoming as well.

Labelled and dated all my Ruby ales, just need to wait 2 and a half weeks to bottle an old English ale.

Just waiting on a repair man to fix my second flat tire on my uhaul truck on my move to FL... Figured I could just check out what's going on on HBT..

Took gravities on my hefe and vanilla pumpkin lager. Hefe is done and will be bottled this weekend. The lager still has a ways to go before I raise the temp for the diacetyl rest.

Received my temperature controller so I can finally keep my fermentation temps under control!

Also received my Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Partial Mash kit....my first partial mash! I'll become a "real brewer" yet!! :D

Checked the gravities on my big SMaSH experiment. Both brews were 10 lbs of Maris Otter Pale Malt, mashed at 152-154. Both had the same OG of 1.065 (REMARKABLE!!) for an 85% efficiency. The best I've had in a looooong time. Today's gravity check was 1.009 and the krausen is falling. I expect to keg and cold crash these this weekend. About 12psi for three weeks at 42, not even gonna connect the tap lines until then. Hoping to get good clarity by day 21, as most of my beers have been.

Both had the same hop schedule and amounts, one ounce for each addition at 60, 10, 5, and whirlpool. First brew was Columbus 13.9, the second was Willamette 4.7. The Willamette is very nice, as expected. The Columbus will take a little more time. I'm ok with that. I will have 4 beers on this weekend, with two in cold condition.

Time to start planning the next two SMaSH brews. Same 10 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt for both. Thinking Falconer's Flight for one and I'm open to suggestions for the second. Same amounts and schedule as above. Four unique beers differentiated by only one change of one ingredient.

Bottled MisterTipsy's Amarillo Amber Ale - used Carared, Special Roast, Munich, Pilsen and Amarillo of course.

It's a deep red / amber color. The flat version tasted good. I look forward to the bubbly version.

Checked my WY1010 starter and getting set to step it up, verified inventory for my Sunday brew session and what would be beer without pickles! Getting set to make 150 jars of spicy hot garlic pickles on Saturday with my fellow pickling maniac and all the kids!

I put a bottle of Bells Expedition Stout in the fridge for later this evening. I also hung up my new hop chart from Northern Brewer :rockin:. I'm about to sit down and clean up the last of my bottles.

I pulled a couple of kegs out of storage and charged them to check pressure before I sell them to a fellow brewer. I also finished boiling a starter for this weekends brew. It will be on the stir plate shortly!

made my brew order;

10 Kwiklamp Hose Clamp (Extra Small)
5 x Brewers 2-Row Malt
- Amount: 13 lb
- Grain Milling Option: Milled Grain 0.0000% $94.25
1 x Chrome Faucet
- Faucet Handle: Traditional Faucet Handle
$18.98
4 x Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
- Amount: 1 lb 0.0000% $15.96
1 x Silicone Hose 1/2" (per foot)
- Length: 3' 8.2500% $6.30
from Austin home brew
and

Perle (Ger.) (4/oz)2011 - $4.60
$4.60
1 DME-gld-1lb Briess Golden Light 1-Lb - $3.19
$3.19
1 10 Lb 6-row malt - $9.89
* Double Mill 10# $1.00 - $1.00
$10.89
4 Nottingham Ale Yeast - $2.99
$11.96
1 Saflager W34/70 - $4.49
$4.49
2 Warrior - (@ $.95/oz) 2011 - $3.80

1 Simcoe- (@ $1.70/oz) 2011 - LIMIT 1 - $6.80
$6.80

from Farmhouse brewing

Got two recently acquired cornies closer to service. Found one to have a leaky post, a crack in the groove of the post where the bigger ring goes. Other one is holding pressure well.

TuttleCreekBrewing said:
Wow, very nice! :rockin: Have you posted this in the Recipes forum? Seems like something that others might find useful!

Yes there is a thread for it now. In general beer discussion. I'm actually revising the whole thing and will have an updated version posted later today.

I put a bottle of Bells Expedition Stout in the fridge for later this evening. I also hung up my new hop chart from Northern Brewer :rockin:. I'm about to sit down and clean up the last of my bottles.

My favorite boozy sweet imperial stout. :mug:

Back