Any thoughts on PBW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineknot

Reaction score
I have been using a one step, no rinse cleanser as part of my sanitizing routine. A fellow brewer suggested powdered brewers wash instead. Any thoughts? Which do you prefer and do you use PBW the same way as the one step. Thanks for any input!

Many cleaners said to be one step questionably aren't. My LHBS re-packages PBW as no rinse. I ordered a 1lb jar from Midwest,& upon reading the label,must be rinsed. Not a problem,as it rinses pretty easy.
In varying strengths,PBW can soak just about anything loose. In higher concentrations,the label says it can even soak off baked/cooked on gunk. That'd gunna be interesting to try.
I use it to clean everything I brew with. Also for de-labeling,3-4TBSP in my fermenters filled wih water,& stirred. 5-7 days,& even smells soak out. But the spigots must also be removed & cleaned to accomplish this.
I use 3TBSP in about 4G of water in my homer cheapo bucket to clean & de-label bottles overnight. Then a dobie & bottle brush make short work of them next morning. Even the label glue is dissolved or very soft. Gunk inside bottles floats away.

I used to use just one-step or easy clean for the last 4 years. Never had any sanitation issues as long as I scrubbed the equipment right after use and then just used the one-step to sanitize before use. However I just got some PBW and started using it a few weeks ago to actually clean my equipment better after use (carboys, buckets etc). You still have to sanitize after using PBW, as far as I know.

PBW is a cleaner. Must be rinsed. Star San,iodophor those are no rinse sanitizers that should help you out.

fwiw. Oxiclean free works like PBW and is cheaper. Some people will argue that it's not as good but I routinely switch between the two. Make sure your stuff is cleeeeean

As they say in South Asia, "same same but different". They're similar chemicals. I believe PBW has a chelation additive. Both are similar to Oxiclean.

PBW is a cleaner. Must be rinsed. Star San,iodophor those are no rinse sanitizers that should help you out.

fwiw. Oxiclean free works like PBW and is cheaper. Some people will argue that it's not as good but I routinely switch between the two. Make sure your stuff is cleeeeean

+1 Oxyclean is cheaper. Walmart has a generic brand. Use it to clean. Then use Starsan or Iodaphor to sanitize. Do not rinse these off or the item is not sanitary any more.

I'm finding that the difference between oxyclean free & PBW is that oxyclean leaves film that's hard to remove if left to soak too long. Some use a vinegar solution to get the film off. PBW doesn't seem to have this issue so far...as long as the solution is clean.

I too have had problems with film on the oxy clean free. i actually used PBW to remove the film the oxyclean left in my carboy.

The Birko non-caustic alkali cleaners are probably the best if you can find them (BruReze and CellRmaster), but PBW is quite good too. THese were designed with the brewing industry in mind, unlike Oxy Clean (which as some have noted can leave a bad film). However, they are NOT sanitizers. The only truly trustworthy cleaner/sanitizer I have found is bleach... and it requires rinsing. Theoretically, you could do a one step with PBW if you were able to rinse it with 180F+ degree water, of course that is not the easiest thing for a home brewer to do and is pretty dangerous without the right equipment... SO, best method in my opinion? Clean with PBW, rinse well, follow up with a no rinse sanitizer (Iodophor, Star San)

Someone on here said to make Oxyiclean into PBW you can simply add TSP to the mix. I use TSP in my shop cleaning solutions and it really boosts the cleaning power. Can't remember the mix ratio, you'll have to search.

I soak my bottles for 2 days in PBW, the labels fall right off. After that a rinse with hot water from a Jet Bottle Washer and a quick soak, maybe 30 minutes, in Easy Clean and I'm ready to bottle. Granted I've only bottled 3 batches, about 150 bottles worth, but I have yet to have any explode.

I take the safer route & use PBW. Since I'm not a chemist,I don't wanna mix up something toxic that might not rinse off easy & cleanly. I soak recycled bottles in a bucket of PBW over night & the labels slip right off.

I started off using PBW, then after reading a few posts here I tried a tub of Oxy Clean Free. I've been a convert ever since - cheaper, easier to get (LHBS is about a 40 minute drive away, Walmart is 5 minutes from work), and does at least as good a job as the PBW.

With either one, I've never had a fermenter so soiled with krausen residue that an overnight soak with a warm solution of PBW or OxyClean hasn't left me with a squeaky clean fermenter.

Smashing said:
Someone on here said to make Oxyiclean into PBW you can simply add TSP to the mix. I use TSP in my shop cleaning solutions and it really boosts the cleaning power. Can't remember the mix ratio, you'll have to search.

I did this, will have to check when I get home but pretty sure it was 70% oxy, 30% TSP/90 and it works wonders both for brewing and general kitchen cleaning. I made 5 gallons of powder for far less than the bulk containers of PBW sell for (and should never run out haha)

I love PBW. Use it to clean kegs, carboys, and anything that gets visible gunk on it. Strips it right off with no scrubbing. Works even faster with hot water. Then I rinse and use star san to sanitize. perfect combination.

Yup,ya got that right jon.There isn't much PBW in the right concentration can't clean. Check out the instructions on the jar.

Back