Yeast washing attempt 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
I followed the instructions from the sticky for my last batch, and now I'd like to do it again! I have 8 pint jars that look like this

I'd say there is maybe a total of 4-5 tablespoons of yeast.

1. Did I do it right? That seems like a small amount of yeast.
2. Can I consolidate these jars?
3. I don't have enough jars for another batch- can I use sanitized bottles and cap them?
4. Off topic- I'm out of priming sugar- what are the guidelines for using table sugar to prime?

image-1848461131.jpg

I have never had any success with that calculator- it jut told me to use -2.3oz, but when I manually entered the CO2 level (which is what it calculated from the style I chose) it told me 3.1 oz.
I've got 5 gal of a brown ale...

I usually get more from rinsing yeast per the sticky. I would say you could probably dump off most of the liquid and then combine into one jar if you need to.

I've found that a small amount of rinsed yeast like you show there will start, but slowly. I recommend a starter with two or three of jars like that, then you should be good to go no problem.

For future rinsing, play around with how long you let it settle, and how you pour from one vessel to the next, and you can get more in there. It's confusing to try to tell what's yeast and what's not. I still don't quite get it, but I keep trying different things to see how I can get the best possible yeast layer.

Back