Looking for a super malty beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian74

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that I really love malty beers, but I'm not well versed on beer styles enough to pin point the beer I should make. I want to make a beer that has high malt flavor and aroma with moderate hop bitterness. Any suggestions?

+1 to reading through the styles. Scottish Ale, any bock, and belgians come to mind first for me.

Thanks. I kinda figured Scottish ales from what I have read. My only experience with bocks has been Shiner...I'll drink it, but not my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick. My experience with Belgians (at least Belgian style) is Brewery Ommegang...at the brewery. The best beer I have ever had, probably because it was so fresh.

Since you (and I) like our beers malty but not bitter, I think it might be time for you to consider brewing your own. If you start with a kit, many of them tell you right on the kit how much malt goes into the brew and how bitter the brew will turn out. From there its a small step to change the time the hops are in the boil or the variety of the hops to control how bitter the beer becomes. I've discovered that I like my beer to be in the 20 to 30 IBU range so that's what I brew. On some of the darker beers, I might like them to be slightly more bitter to balance the sweetness of the malt and grain's unfermentable sugars. Easy enough to change that too.

I've been brewing my own for 2.5 years. I know I should be more knowledgeable about beer styles, but I've also been in school full time too for the past several years.

Regarding changing recipes, I guess I'm afraid I'll screw up the beer, so I have not attempted that yet.

Thanks for the help.

Back