ALUMINIUM mash tun ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an aluminum pot to mash and boil in. As long as you build up the protective oxide layer on them the first time before you use 'em I think it is fine.

One problem with aluminum for a mash-tun is that it isn't a good insulator. That means you'll have to continuously apply heat in order to maintain a constant temperature, which is DIFFICULT without a lot of specialized equipment. In my opinion, a converted cooler, which is designed to be good at insulation, is a better mash-tun vessel.

That said, there's nothing wrong with using aluminum, it will just require more attention.

I've used an aluminum pot for mashing/boiling for the last 10 years with no issues. For the 90 minute mash, I really didn't notice that much of a difference between my aluminum and my stainless kettle; both needed attention at various times.

One problem with aluminum for a mash-tun is that it isn't a good insulator. That means you'll have to continuously apply heat in order to maintain a constant temperature, which is DIFFICULT without a lot of specialized equipment. In my opinion, a converted cooler, which is designed to be good at insulation, is a better mash-tun vessel.

That said, there's nothing wrong with using aluminum, it will just require more attention.

Oh good point. When conditioning an aluminum pot for a friend I really noticed the difference between it and my SS pot... it's SUCH a better conducter, I burned myself on the lid.

Even if you buy into the aluminum is bad for brewing, that has to do with the hops, so as long as you're not mashing hops you're good to go anyway.

lol bad typing what would be a good mash tun to step mash in lol it sounds like i had 1 to many :drunk:and does it really make that much diff to step mash over a single infusion just asking im still learning and wount the best beer for the buck and time put in it :mug::tank:

That's what the guys at the LHBS were talking about. I tend to agree with the people here.

You should only buy ingredients there and keep a pair of ear plugs in. Those fools are dealing out bad and untrue advice.

Back