food grade glue ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
i see the pics of the cool rigs guys here have made to brew. do they all use rubber gaskets at the fittings or is there a glue i can use to seal things permanently that wont leach chemicals ?

There are several food grade sealants available at places like McMaster-Carr. Many types of aquarium sealant are also food grade.

Hmmm. I thought we were talking edible paste. I'd have to find out what ever happened to David Kelps in 1st grade.

Are you are talking weldless fittings on coolers or kegs that get direct fire?

Hmmm. I thought we were talking edible paste. I'd have to find out what ever happened to David Kelps in 1st grade.

LMAO! I thought the same thing, except i never knew David Kelps.

I wondered about this application when I saw this thread. I want to mess with my dip tube/spot connection in my keggle, but it is not too accessible for soldering unless I take the whole darn spigot out again. Any thoughts on this stuff?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Someday, after I win the lotto and can throw money around spastically like all the super rich folks do, I'll brew an Elmer's Glue Pale Ale.

I would stay away from any glues and sealants for anything you ferment in, simply because it would be difficult to clean.

As for mash tuns look for Kewler Kits and see if you and find the round rubber o-rings they use.

I found a food grade epoxy at Home Depot this past weekend. It said it was for constant submersion in potable water sources. I think that should do it. I havd to look through quite a few epoxies to find this one though.

Bumping this because i know crap all about bricolage and need help knowing if white silicone glue (i'm sure this is the scientific term) is food grade?

Locktite has a Food contact safe epoxy available at Lowes/ Home Depot / WalMart.

JB WaterWeld is listed as non-toxic once cured and safe for water supply contact as well. Plus it has a heat resistance rating of 500*F.

The aquarium sealant will say so on the tube. I have some DAP brand that's 100 percent clear. I checked DAP's website for the MSDS and it's food grade and listed the temperature ranges which I do not remember. But here's a link to all the DAP MSDS's. The aquarium sealant it about half way down. you could check all their other products listed there for something else that might work. HD carries quite a selection.

http://www.dap.com/msds_index.aspx

Kazi

I want to cut top half of a bucket and place into another one for extra boil room. Would a large gasket between the two do the job? I have those heavier duty plastic buckets that can withstand high temperatures. Just trying to find an easy way to connect the two so that that I have about 6 gallon max capacity.

Back