HBT dictionary...or commonly misspelled brew terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following are yeasts:

Saccharomyces sp.
Brettanomyces sp.
(syn: Dekkera sp.)

The following are bacteria:

Pediococcus sp.
Lactobacillus sp.

Bacteria is the plural form of bacterium.
None of the above are "bugs". Bugs are of the order Hemiptera (Arthropoda: Insecta) and do not belong in beer (unless thirsty).:mug:

TheCrane said:
The following are yeasts:

Saccharomyces sp.
Brettanomyces sp.
(syn: Dekkera sp.)

The following are bacteria:

Pediococcus sp.
Lactobacillus sp.

Bacteria is the plural form of bacterium.
None of the above are "bugs". Bugs are of the order Hemiptera (Arthropoda: Insecta) and do not belong in beer (unless thirsty).:mug:
i dunno about the whole bugs thing. isn't "bug" kind of slang anyway?

Wow we have our own grammar police. If I had to spell check and proof read all my posts I would only have half as many. When reading posts as long as I know what the word(s) are supposed to be I'm fine with misspelled words.
I do prefer sentences and even paragraphs for easier reading though.

Nah, it's not the police. It's just an attempt to facilitate more effective communication. I don't think I'm the only one who's more apt to answer a well phrased question than one that makes the author appear somewhat illiterate.

DeathBrewer said:
i dunno about the whole bugs thing. isn't "bug" kind of slang anyway?

It has become this, much to the chagrin of "bug geeks". Officially, "bugs" refers to the suborder Heteroptera (Phylum:Arthropoda, Class: Insecta, Order: Hemiptera). This group contains the familiar stink bugs, milkweed bugs, box elder bugs, toad bugs and many other common backyard insects. Unfortunately, frequent misuse of the word "bugs" has forced entomologists to tack on the modifier "true" to settle any uncertainty for the layperson. I just feel silly when making reference to the "true bugs", as this implies that are false bugs running around under the guise of their esteemed counterparts.

ah...I see it as a beer drinking and home brewing forum. Whatever someone types and I know I am guilty of it to, you can make it out even with a bunch errors. I spend enough
time on here and have to worry about grammar and spelling lol.

I am not going to answer a question or help someone because they spelled something wrong

Missing seems to be my favorite one. (I must confess I skipped to the end around page 7 so maybe it's listed).

our - a form of the possessive case of we used as an attributive adjective (belonging to)

are - Second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be. (not our :drunk: )

this is our beer.

where are we going to drink our beer?

mot said:
ah...I see it as a beer drinking and home brewing forum. Whatever someone types and I know I am guilty of it to, you can make it out even with a bunch errors. I spend enough
time on here and have to worry about grammar and spelling lol.

I am not going to answer a question or help someone because they spelled something wrong
No one ever said they were going to ignore a thread completely because of bad grammar or spelling (unless it's so bad that it's impossible to read!). Go back and read the rest of the thread. I KEEP SAYING THIS, BUT I'LL REPHRASE AND SAY IT AGAIN: it's supposed to be an educational thread, not an "I'm going to snub you because your spelling sucks" thread.

whoptbird said:
Missing seems to be my favorite one. (I must confess I skipped to the end around page 7 so maybe it's listed).

our - a form of the possessive case of we used as an attributive adjective (belonging to)

are - Second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be. (not our :drunk: )

this is our beer.

where are we going to drink our beer?
Added. :mug:

SayWhat1 said:
The alt-code for ° is alt 248. I see a lot of people use # for °... I'm probably just being an EAC. :)

Sometimes, when I have the time, I use 'charmap.exe' to find the degree symbol or other special characters.

programs-accessories-system tools-character map
I have the shortcut on my Desktop.

Other times I just use *, because most people could give a rat's azz if punctuation and grammar are perfect; just so long as they understand what your saying. But then there are people who nitpick.

Added: recipe

Here's one more attempt to help some of you understand this thread. Allow myself to quote...myself...
Yuri_Rage said:
I think my thread about commonly misspelled/misused terms has caused some angst and some misunderstandings. That's REALLY not the intent. Sure, u cn comunacate witout teh uzing of propar gramar and speling, but you probably had to work hard to read that last bit. You may also be more susceptible to misunderstandings if you write poorly. Experience on this forum shows that a well written question is far more likely to be well received and well answered than a poorly phrased question or a question that appears to have been written by an adolescent hooch maker. So, that thread was created in hopes of facilitating better and more effective communication, not to suggest that we need to grade each other's posts on proper use of the language.

On a somewhat philosophical note, it seems awfully ignorant and/or lazy to be fully aware of the fact that one's writing skills are poor, yet intentionally refuse to use simple tools (i.e., spellcheck) that can help.

Choosing a poor font style, size and color can also make things unreadable much in the same way lack of punctuation and capitalization can make this somewhat simple idea difficult to comprehend ya dig

How about adding some acronyms?

SWMBO? (s** w** m*** b* o*****)
DWHAHB? (don't worry have a homebrew)
MLT? (I have no idea what this is?)

plus many more I probably haven't come across yet.

I make errors when I'm tired, lazy, drunk....(which is more often than not)
But I really do wish people would realise it is only polite to make some basic effort.
Paragraphs, capitals and periods make a massive difference.
There is a Firefox add on that spell checks for you. Google spell checks if you think something is incorrect.

I know I make grammatical errors on occasions but at least I think about the people who read my threads.

I agree with the original intent, to educate on terms that are not readily understood. I also agree that an effort should be made to speak and write intelligibly. But when reading each other's posts try not to forget to RDWHAHB!!

Let's talk about beer, not semantics. Typos are going to happen and now I feel like I have to censor every word or I'll be an outcast. I'm stuck with Explorer at work so now I feel like I need a second window open to Hyperdictionary.com...:eek: I hope I can remember that "Tripod" has a "T" in it somewhere. ;)

But Yuri has a point...if we are here to learn than let us all make an effort to show what we have learned. :mug:

Sorry...couldn't resist... :p

Too funny! :rolleyes:

But it really validates my point. If all you see is the typo, you WILL miss the point of the thread. If all we do is point out each other's mistakes, you WILL scare off potential members who will take their money elsewhere....

But it really validates my point. If all you see is the typo, you WILL miss the point of the thread. If all we do is point out each other's mistakes, you WILL scare off potential members who will take their money elsewhere....

I disagree. While the occasional typo invariably happens on these here interwebs, it takes a minimum of effort to proofread a post for both mechanical and blatant grammatical errors. If a poster doesn't have the decency to make a coherent and properly punctuated posting when posing a question, it doesn't make me particularly interested in answering it. Call me an EAC or a word-nerd (which I proudly am!), but lazy internet English makes me want to cockpunch the person who typed it out.

but lazy internet English makes me want to cockpunch the person who typed it out.

I agree with you on lazy internet English. But an occasional typo? Get a life! ;)

I am very thankful to those who offer help but if you threaten "cockpunching" over a silly typo? Besides, there is no hard fast rule dictating that you HAVE to answer if you don't like what you see. Drink a home brew instead...:mug:

As a writer by trade, I'm all for cockpunching for poor grammar, punctuation, word misuse.

For instance, if anybody spells ridiculous with an "e" again I might go postal.;)

I agree with you on lazy internet English. But an occasional typo? Get a life! ;)

I am very thankful to those who offer help but if you threaten "cockpunching" over a silly typo? Besides, there is no hard fast rule dictating that you HAVE to answer if you don't like what you see. Drink a home brew instead...:mug:

Sometimes I use my MS outlook to check my spelling and grammar and when it’s done it makes corrections that make absolutely no sense whatsoever and every once in a while I don't catch them until later when it is too late. Sometimes it makes me sound like I rapper, pretty funny. I have to ask myself “who programmed this spell checker?”

Aren't Alot and A lot both considered proper spellings of the word now according to The Modern Language Association?

sanitation (not sanitization, and not sterilization unless you're in a lab)

Sanitization is a perfectly good word.

Sanitation - The devising and application of means for the improvement of sanitary conditions.

Sanitize (v. trans.), sanitization (n.) - To make sanitary; to disinfect.

Hello all. I'm new here and I would like to add my two cents worth too.

I agree that we should all accept the typographical errors and accept that Americans can't spell colour.

I live in hope that we can dispose of the word transportation because transport is already a noun that will suffice.

Please note that it is correct to say "different from" and not "different to".
"compared with" and not "compared to", but "similar to" is correct.

Finally, (and actually my purpose in writing) could I appeal to those in power to create a glossary like this spelling and grammar thread. A place where we could find the definitions for all the brewing vocabulary. What is the definition of a "bitter" or an "ale"? OG, FG and SG and more can be listed in one easily accessible place....please.

I would wager that the all-time most mis-spelled word on this forum is "sanatize." Do a search and you will get more hits with 'sanatize' than 'sanitize.'

One proper name that I see mis-spelled almost every time I see it, including on BeerSmith, is Willamette hops. It is always wrongly written 'Williamette.'

I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but what is wrong with "fermentor?" I see it spelled this way in many places, including "How to Brew" by John Palmer.

Being a noob (hope noob conforms), I am glad someone revived this thread so I can offer a couple of my more esoteric favorites: FEWER refers to the number of things by count (there are fewer beers in the fridge (oops on that spelling) than there were last night whilst LESS refers to the amount or degree by quantity (there is less wort in the boil -- but fewer gallons); and the other is the dreaded split infinitive (split infinitive and not preferred = to boldly go, not split and preferred = to go boldy). Well, while I am at it, let's get another one on the table. It isn't I don't think I should brew today, it's I think I should not brew today (we all have on our thinking caps). And as I stated at the beginning, these are somewhat esoteric and I won't be at all offended if they don't make the basic guidelines, but when you publish the adavaced set.........................

Being a noob (I hope noob is acceptable), I am glad someone revived this thread so I can offer a couple of my more esoteric favorites.

"Fewer" refers to the number of things by count: there are fewer beers in the fridge than there were last night. "Less" refers to the amount or degree by quantity: there is less wort in the boil—but fewer gallons.

The other is the dreaded split infinitive. Split infinitive and not preferred: "to boldly go"; not split and preferred: "to go boldly". Well, while I am at it, let's get another one on the table. It isn't "I don't think I should brew today", it's "I think I should not brew today" (we all have on our thinking caps).

As I stated at the beginning, these are somewhat esoteric and I won't be at all offended if they don't make the basic guidelines, but when you publish the advanced set...

There's not much (if anything) wrong with splitting an infinitive. Ease of reading is more important than strict compliance with prescriptive principles that are at odds with the majority usage. There's much more wrong with writing overlong sentences and not starting a new paragraph when you start a new thought.

Back