Keg carbonation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I put a red ale of average gravity, .048(maybe) into a keg two days ago. I added 1/3 cup of sugar and I pressurized the keg to about 15 psi (I dont know why I have it at 15) and have let it sit at room temperature since then.

After reading some of these posts I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate this.

I'm thinking I want to release the pressure and add more, since I never purged it, I just added Co2. Should I make sure to have it stored at 40 degrees or so, or does that matter? What psi should I set it at to carbonate in about a week?

Well are you trying to naturally carb it or force carb it??
Sounds like you are mixing the two for some reason...

If you want it to be at about 2.5 (about average) at 40F you should set the keg pressure to 13.3psi... Leave the tank connected and in a few days it will be drinkable.. in a week or little more it will be great!

Sephro said:
Well are you trying to naturally carb it or force carb it??
Sounds like you are mixing the two for some reason...

If you want it to be at about 2.5 (about average) at 40F you should set the keg pressure to 13.3psi... Leave the tank connected and in a few days it will be drinkable.. in a week or little more it will be great!

I think I added pressure to make sure that it was tightly sealed. I'm beginning to see that 15 psi is way overboard for that. So, since I added the 1/3 cup sugar, and have had it at 15 psi, if I lower it down to 13 and let it sit at 40 degrees, it should turn out fine in about a week?

I'm wondering about the combination of adding sugar and having the pressure on it will make it too foamy.

I really need to do some reading up on kegging.

yes it should be fine in a week... I have no clue about adding the sugar. I think it might just make the first few pours a touch cloudy. No big deal.

Check out this
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/kegging-system.pdf

usually you either force carb it or prime it to naturally carb it.
Either way... keg at home is the best thing ever :)

Also download promash. promash.com it has a calc that will help you figure out the CO2 levels.

Back