Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Brunswick. AG for a couple of years. Very satisfying. Also the beer at the government run system don't offer much in terms of selection.
The cost savings on a pint of beer; let's not go there.

Same deal here in NS my friend :(

Hi everyone, Edmonton AB here. I haven't been brewing that long. First batch was an extract and the 10 or so batches after that have all been partial mash for me.

If anyone wants to meet up, I'll be at the next Edmonton Homebrewer's Guild meeting at 7:00pm on Monday March 4th at Alley Kat Brewery. I'll probably bring samples to get some feedback :p

AG Brewer here in Red Deer, Alberta. I am 1 of 2 known home brewers in a city of 90000, sad. 2 Wine Brewing shops in RD, so I have to source my stuff online or go to Edmonton, or Calgary.

hello, new member and new brewer from london, ontario

just currently drinking my first batch from a youbrew, once i get the ropes down i will be starting to brew at home

AG Brewer here in Red Deer, Alberta. I am 1 of 2 known home brewers in a city of 90000, sad. 2 Wine Brewing shops in RD, so I have to source my stuff online or go to Edmonton, or Calgary.

Send me a pm and next time you come up to Edmonton we can meet up and exchange some brews ;)

Hey oldbrew,

Can't you just hop over to Didsbury to get your malt?

I go there whenever i visit Calgary ..

pmpbrewer said:
Hey oldbrew,

Can't you just hop over to Didsbury to get your malt?

I go there whenever i visit Calgary ..

No I called them last year and they said they wouldn't sell me malt because I was a home brewer, and that I needed to buy the bags of malt from my local brew shop. Since then I have ordered sacks of Gambrinus from HopDawgs.ca

No I called them last year and they said they wouldn't sell me malt because I was a home brewer, and that I needed to buy the bags of malt from my local brew shop. Since then I have ordered sacks of Gambrinus from HopDawgs.ca

Really? I bought 5 Bags there in 2011. No problems. I was planning in getting more this summer.

pmpbrewer said:
Really? I bought 5 Bags there in 2011. No problems. I was planning in getting more this summer.

Did you just show up there and buy some, maybe that's my problem I called first?

In general if you simply say to any business I would like to buy some of your {{insert product here}} the only question they will have is cash debit or credit.

Just keep it simple. What does it matter why you want the grain? When ever I go somewhere that doesnt normally do those kind of sales I just show up with cash. Thats how I get my bulk lme from the ubrew.

hello, new member and new brewer from london, ontario

just currently drinking my first batch from a youbrew, once i get the ropes down i will be starting to brew at home

Hey zbbfreak. What ubrew did you use?

I started out going to Hyde Park ubrew in the early nineties :)

It keptme in beer through university..

I think the problem is you need to set up a account first with them, that is why you can't just show up and buy stuff from them. I just need to open my own Brew Shop in Red Deer that should solve the problem of shopping there.

I'm in Ottawa. Doing extract now, but hope to transition to AG this summer.

I think the problem is you need to set up a account first with them, that is why you can't just show up and buy stuff from them. I just need to open my own Brew Shop in Red Deer that should solve the problem of shopping there.

It seems the didsbury people are only honoring the old accounts from pre 2011 in a sort of grandfathering way, meaning no new accounts can be opened anymore. So try and connect with someone who has an old account. No, unfortunately, I do not have one...

They are more used to selling pallets upon pallets of malt and I think the task of selling a bag here and two bags there wasn't worth their time and effort would be my guess.

Also, if you know someone around the Alix area where the malting plant is, you can sometimes get Rahr 2-row which I think is the bomb!

Yo!! Where do you all get your large amounts of hops? The guy for the Ottawa group is super behind. Looks to find a new supplier.

Canada Malt is a 5min drive from my house but yet if I want grains from them I would have to drive to Montreal or Calgary, both are about the same distance from me. It's cheaper for me to Order from Austin Homebrew Supplies and drive to the border. Sumtin ain't right there.

Been on HBT a while, just noticed the thread.

All-grain brewer, 16-years into the hobby. I'm originally from Calgary, but there was a brief haitus in TO, and now I'm in London (Ont, not the other one). Yeast wrangler for my local brewclub.

Bryan

Good to see another Home brewer from Calgary......i am a all-grain brewer from NW calgary and have been brewing for about 2 years now and am finally getting some good beers with all-grain.Just brewed a Janets Brown....looking forward to that one....

Just stumbled on this thread.

I've been brewing beer and wine kits on and off for the last 10+ years. After getting fed up wit the kits I started doing partial mash/BIAB and cider. Finally gearing up to all grain this spring.

Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me. I will be going to Vancouver first and then spending 10 days in the Edmonton & Camrose area. I know Dan's homebrew supply in Vancouver and have bought from them before. Can anyone recommend some shops in the Edmonton area? I found estate brewing on google but no prices or indication if stuff is out of stock. Any that have online catalogues so I can compare prices? I want to see if it is worth picking up stuff in Vancouver during my first 2 days or if there are well stocked shops accessible later. Looking for an autosiphon or 2, a bottle sanitizer pump, stock of dry yeasts, and other misc stuff that is small enough for my suitcase.
Thanks!

Hi guys, I am visiting Canada in about 2 weeks and want to buy some stuff to bring back to Japan with me. I will be going to Vancouver first and then spending 10 days in the Edmonton & Camrose area. I know Dan's homebrew supply in Vancouver and have bought from them before. Can anyone recommend some shops in the Edmonton area? I found estate brewing on google but no prices or indication if stuff is out of stock. Any that have online catalogues so I can compare prices? I want to see if it is worth picking up stuff in Vancouver during my first 2 days or if there are well stocked shops accessible later. Looking for an autosiphon or 2, a bottle sanitizer pump, stock of dry yeasts, and other misc stuff that is small enough for my suitcase.
Thanks!

I can't give any Edmonton area advice, but here in the Van area, we've got a couple other HBSs in addition to Dan's that might be worth checking out:
1. Bosa Grape http://ecom.bosagrape.com/home.php
2. Barley's Homebrewing http://www.barleyshomebrewing.com

The only place to really buy from is Winning Wines Plus in Edmonton. The Southside store has the best selection of yeasts and hops, but the west side store has a better malt selection, and they will mill your grains for you.

Thanks guys!
I might have to go to Barley's just to get something milled BY BICYCLE POWER! :D That is awesome!

I recall Bosa now (near Royal Oak station I think) and haven't ordered from them before. Do you need to order ahead of time for Bosa or can you just go to their address? I am interested in cheesmaking (did a couple mozzarella attempts last month) and since they carry cheese supplies as well I would like to go talk and shop.

Cultkid, can you tell me if Winning Wines has extensive equipment as well? Their site just lists a lot of kit wines and beers but its really only the equipment and small things that I will be able to bring back to Japan with me.

OppamaBrendan said:
Cultkid, can you tell me if Winning Wines has extensive equipment as well? Their site just lists a lot of kit wines and beers but its really only the equipment and small things that I will be able to bring back to Japan with me.

They have everything from $10 racking canes and $3 fermometers, to $500 20gal boil kettles and $300 stir plates. I wouldn't say they have a HUGE selection, but they have lots of stuff.

Send me a private message when you get here, and I'll hook you up with a couple of homebrews! :)

If you're here on April 8, that's the Edmonton Home Brewer's Guild monthly meeting day. We have it at Alley Kat brewery, and I'm sure no one would object if you dropped in for a visit! :cheers:

Thats always a welcome idea! There are some suppliers here we get malts and hops from but the selection isn't extensive and some things just aren't easy to get at reasonable prices. For cheesemaking I bought 3 grams of rennet for about 15 bucks when 30 grams goes for 30 bucks in Canada - thats a hell of a markup. I think there are one or two guys that brew in the Kashiwa area as well, if its the place just northeast of Tokyo you mean.
Cheers!
B

My other hobby brings me to Japan (Kashiwa area) once in awhile. Maybe I can brinh stuff along. I live in Abbotsford. Could be fun to meet a brewer there/here!

Chris

Cool, I do want to save the shopping until Edmonton mostly, my dad brews as well and then we can hit up the store together and plan a brew.
I won't be in town until the 9th so I will miss that meeting, just went to a Japan one last night and will spend the day recovering.
Cheers!
B

They have everything from $10 racking canes and $3 fermometers, to $500 20gal boil kettles and $300 stir plates. I wouldn't say they have a HUGE selection, but they have lots of stuff.

Send me a private message when you get here, and I'll hook you up with a couple of homebrews! :)

If you're here on April 1, that's the Edmonton Home Brewer's Guild monthly meeting day. We have it at Alley Kat brewery, and I'm sure no one would object if you dropped in for a visit! :cheers:

Ajax Ontario here.
I'm just a kit brewer...sometimes I feel so small when looking at this forum...:eek: but, while my creations wont win any awards, I do manage to make good beer, and for the forseeable future, it's all I have time for

Hoppy Friday y'all.

Guelph, Ontario here.... making Hard Cider from juice, and wine from kits... but will be doing more and more as we go! Cheers.

CiderJoel

Hey all Fernie B.C. here. Been brewing my own for years ( extract ) Just got my first all grain batch in the carboy, will be ready next week. I cannot wait. Found a recipe for smoked beer, so I did that. First taste from the fermenter was absolutely awesome ! Anyway, I found a decent source for supplies and ingredients if you don't mind shopping online. The site is Ontario beer kegs.com Take a look, they've got a good variety of gadgets and goodies.

Calgary here. Started brewing in late '09 and what a mess! Everything that could go wrong...went wrong. Typical kit & kilo results for a first time attempt, you know; under attenuation, acetaldehyde, thin body, residual chlorine sanitizer :smack:
Found HBT & The Brewing Network and my beers have been getting better ever since.

Hi all,
I'm from Toronto and I just got into this about 5 weeks ago with a Brooklyn Brew Shoppe kit. Somehow that gave me the confidence to jump in with both feet and I've brewed 3 AG batches since, 3 total in bottles now and one more in the fermenter. I live in a loft so the "fermentation chamber" is my guest room closet. I kinda found this place AFTER I went crazy and got hooked so I didn't even know there was a thing as extract brewing until I'd bought all the parts for a drink cooler mash tun. Oh well...too late now. :D

Thamesville, Ontario here. I've considered myself a homebrewer for a few years now, but have only made several batches, most of whom I've been fairly disappointed with. This was mostly due to the fact that I come from a family of 9 people and never had the space to brew. I just bought my first house, and I'm looking forward to making a few thousand gallons on the back porch:mug:
If anyone is in my area, hit me up. Goodness knows I could use the help of someone more experienced.

Back