Concord pots quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewskiBroski

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I am currently in the process of building a single tier 3 pot electric brewery. I am building the panel now.

After some searching around the web, I had landed on the bayou classic 82qt pots.

However, I did just find the Concord 80 qt pots on ebay for a very reasonable price.
(Ebay pot)

I was wondering if anyone has used these SS pots and can let me know how the quality is?

Also, has anyone drilled into them to add ball valves and electric heating elements? If so, have you had any problems doing so?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

lol... i saw that on the classified, that is why I am trying to get some info on these.

I do recall a recent thread on these but cant find it...all purchasers were satisfied w/ the quality and value as I remember? Try searching for it?

Thanks...the only threads i could find were about the aluminum pots from Concord, i didn't know if anyone had the SS ones as well as had to drill them.

I recently bought three of the 60Qt versions through eBay.

I have not yet drilled into them, but was very surprised at how substantial they appear to be. There isn't much flex in the walls at all.

The bottoms are NOT clad. If that worries you, then go with something else.

At $75 each and a crew in the LA area to pick them for me, $225 for three 60Qt SS pots was just too much to resist.

At at the very beginning of my electric build, although I'm going to use one as a brew pot this Saturday. These vessels will serve as the core of my system.

If I can remember tonight, I'll slap my mic on them and let you know how thick the walls are.

mattyb85 said:
did anyone ever find out any reviews on these pots?

Hey mattyb... I bought 3 80qt pots about a year ago from ebay and have done probably a dozen or so brews on them, I have an electric Herms system and I drilled them with no problems at all, just go slow and use lube (that's what my girl says too)

In any case, they are very substantial and in no way feel thin walled or flimsy... Great quality and great price.

See the pic for what they look like now.

image-917746583.jpg

I just mic'd my kettles.

I got:

Kettle 1 - 0.98 mm / 0.99 mm / 0.98 mm
Kettle 2 - 0.99 mm / 0.99 mm / 0.98 mm
Kettle 3 - 1.02 mm / 1.00 mm / 1.01mm

All measured near the top of the vessels.

Once I start making holes, I'll repeat and report...

BrewskiBroski said:
Hey mattyb... I bought 3 80qt pots about a year ago from ebay and have done probably a dozen or so brews on them, I have an electric Herms system and I drilled them with no problems at all, just go slow and use lube (that's what my girl says too)

In any case, they are very substantial and in no way feel thin walled or flimsy... Great quality and great price.

Awesome thanks! I'm looking to upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon SS. Glad to hear these aren't super cheaply made. At 99 from amazon I can't really argue.

I just mic'd my kettles,
0.98 mm / 0.99 mm / 0.98 mm

Is that the same as Blichman thickness? To me that is 1 mm I guess, sorry I don't do decimals well...cheers

Edit...a search revealed Blichmann kettles are 18 ga or 1.245 mm FWIW, haha apparently it's worth a lot $!
1.0 mm is likely 19 ga or 1.067 mm.
http://mdmetric.com/tech/steelthk.htm

BrewskiBroski said:

Also what are the dimensions of the pots not including the handles or lid? . The listings say 18"x18" but that doesn't seem correct when I look at pictures.

I have the 60QT pots. It's like 16.5" wide by 17" tall. I'm pretty sure the 80QT is 18" by 18".

If you mean between the concord and spike pots, they are literally the same kettle.

I haven't calculated boil off exactly, but it's roughly 15%

Do the handles on the Concord pots feel sturdy? ie Would you feel safe lifting it by the handles with 15 gals in it?

I've lifted my mash tun by the handles full of wet grain before (32-33lbs of dry grist), and it seemed fine.

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable lifting it full of water though. Additionally, I'm pretty strong (deadlift around 385-400lbs), but 130+lbs (including the pot) of a water-filled pot, is an awkward and tough thing to lift. I'd buy a pump, or find some weight to fill said pot once it's already in place.

I've lifted my mash tun by the handles full of wet grain before (32-33lbs of dry grist), and it seemed fine.

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable lifting it full of water though. Additionally, I'm pretty strong (deadlift around 385-400lbs), but 130+lbs (including the pot) of a water-filled pot, is an awkward and tough thing to lift. I'd buy a pump, or find some weight to fill said pot once it's already in place.

I definitely agree that it's awkward and tough to lift. But in your opinion if I could lift it by the handles, with a partner or 2, are the handles secure enough?

I definitely agree that it's awkward and tough to lift. But in your opinion if I could lift it by the handles, with a partner or 2, are the handles secure enough?

I don't want you to buy one if my opinion on whether it could be lifted full is the deal-breaker.

I think it could be done. I wouldn't expect it to hold up to repeated use like that though.

A fairly full mash tun for me (35lbs dry) probably weighs 60-70 wet, and the sides flex a little when i lift it. I'm not sure how it would do with twice the weight inside.

Even a $500 Blichmann doesn't advise lifting a full pot, so you are looking for somethng that doesnt exist.

That said, I woudl guess the handles are strong enough if done carefully...but no garantees and YMMV. Cheers!

Ah ok, I think I'm probably going to get that pot, put a ball valve on it, and aim to never ever need lift it while full. I have a keggle, but its dangerously close to capacity on 12 gallon batches. and a little on the heavy side. I also think I'll get a faster boil with a kettle with a larger bottom area (less heat escaping the burner and not getting into the kettle). Is the kettle (empty of course) much lighter than a keggle?

Significantly lighter. 2-3x so. And yes, it heats quicker as there is much less mass to heat. It also cools quicker for the same reason.

Also what are the dimensions of the pots not including the handles or lid? . The listings say 18"x18" but that doesn't seem correct when I look at pictures.

I just bought the 80 qt concord pot. It measures 17.5" tall and 18" round, actual pot dimensions.

- Destin

I bought two of the 20 gallon Concord pots and one 25 gallon Concord pot from the ebay seller and was disappointed to find that the 20 gallons would only hold 18.5 gallons filled to the brim and the 25 gallon pot would only hold 24 gallons. I guess you do get what you pay for. I had put the holes in the pots and added fittings and sight glasses and when I went to calibrate the sight glasses, I discovered the difference in the advertised capacity and the actual capacity. My 20 gallon pots both measured 17 5/8" diameter and 17 1/2" height.

Keith

How much boil off are you guys getting per hour? I'd like to possibly do 15 gallon session batches and I want to see if there will be enough headspace

Thought I'd bring this back up because I'm looking to finally go all grain. I also don't want to buy 10 gallon kettles only to find myself going to 20 gallon kettles a few years from now.

Anyway, with that said I like BIG beers. For a 10 or 15 gallon batch would you recommend a "25 gallon" concord for the MLT and a "20 gallon" concord for my HLT and boiling?

Anyway, with that said I like BIG beers. For a 10 or 15 gallon batch would you recommend a "25 gallon" concord for the MLT and a "20 gallon" concord for my HLT and boiling?

You will likely want the 24 / 25 gallon pot. A 15 gallon batch in an 18.5 gallon kettle won't be fun IMHO.

For 15 gallon batches, especially "big beers", I would think you would want a 25 gallon kettle...be warned, a 25 gallon kettle is a big A$$ POT!!!

25 gallon pots here as well...not Concord, but not far off IMHO for less $$$.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/80-quart-stainless-kettle-lid-55-plus-shipping-411304/

Marc77 said:
Thought I'd bring this back up because I'm looking to finally go all grain. I also don't want to buy 10 gallon kettles only to find myself going to 20 gallon kettles a few years from now.

Yea I ended up buying 20 gallon Concords which I love but the max I can do is probably 12-13 gallon... Usually do 10... If you want to do 15 gallons... Might want to go 25-30 gallons pots

image-1309415771.jpg

I contacted Concord directly and got the measurements from the horse's mouth (internal dimensions.)

Triply - thicker version of pot (heavy duty):

for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-80-QT-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot-3-Ply-Bottom-/140512602018

17.8"D X 17.5" H, which should be close to 18.85 gallons

Cheaper version:

for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Sta...06351809?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item20da980ec1

17.8"D X 18.5" H, which should be close to 19.93 gallons
Here's some more info:

Me:

"...
Also, there is one review saying that the pot developed a pinhole leak. Do you know of this happening to any of the thinner walled pots you sell?

Both pots are 18/10 304 SS, right?"

Concord:

"Yes, both pots are 18/10. Just the more expensive one has a hand polished finish on the outside, so it is very shiny. The cheaper one is also polished, but is machine polished so it is not as shiny. There have been instances of pinhole leeks [sic]. But this is like, one in every 100-200 pots we sell. It is impossible to see pinhole without actually using it, but if you are unfortunate enough to receive one, we will exchange it for you. All welded pots pose that risk, but it is very rare and usually do not happen because these are polished and checked to pretty high extents. Thank you"

Do people have the thinner pots at close to 20 gallons? Are you satisfied with these cheaper versions?

It looks like the lids show that you have the tri-ply, thicker version of the pot. Is that true?

Back