HELP: Tart of Darkness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunpowder

Reaction score
I ordered the "Tart of Darkness" sour stout kit from MoreBeer.com and I will be brewing it today. I know it requires 6-12 months fermentation (to get the sour part) but it didn't come with specific instructions. It came with their usual instruction sheet, nothing about fermentation. It also came with bourbon oak chunks that should be added around month 6.

I plan on letting this ferment for about 9 months (I need it drinkable by the 2nd week of October).

I plan on adding the Oak chunks in around May or June.

What I need to know is, how long does it stay in Primary? The whole time? If not, when do I rack to secondary? How long does it need to be bottle conditioned for?

If anyone could give me any help with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like a really interesting brew.

That uses Wyeast's Roeselare blend. I haven't used that blend before but it has similar components to their lambic blend so I think some of the conventional Lambic wisdom should apply.

I'm about two months into a Lambic roughly following the Steve Piatz method in BYO:
http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/979-lambic-brewing

He leaves them set in plastic buckets on the yeast cake for two years. This is similar to what commercial lambic brewers do. They use oak barrels. Oak and plastic will let a little O2 in which might contribute to some of the sour compounds.

I'd leave yours in the primary for as long as possible tasting about once a month to see how it is doing. If you are running short on time then I'd go into the secondary about a month before your deadline. I think the oaking will go faster than souring.

Thanks t-ross. Should I re-yeast? I seem to be getting a lot of different answers on this.,

Back