Yeast Washing/Saving - from Primary or Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
I'v got a Fat Tire clone in the secondary currently and i used the Wyeast Fat Tire strand. I was looking to save some of it for another batch, as i can already tell this one is going to keep coming back.

I also reused to the yeast cake in the primary for a brown ale, just to save a few bucks.

Where is it best to save some yeast from? I realize there will be much more available in the primary, but will the secondary require less washing and have less of other particles?

secondary has a lot less yeast too. primary is the best 'bang for your buck' for yeast washing. you end up with more yeast, and its the yeast that wanted to flocculate the most.
I get 4-5 jars of yeast from primary.

I think you get the healthiest and most yeast from primary. You just have to let the non-yeast trub separate out before you wash the yeast.

Remember, in secondary you are getting the least flocculant and most stressed yeast, albeit cleaner. What do you want to brew with? I bet you'd pick the healthiest yeast, which would be in the bottom of the primary.

As all have responded, secondary is the best option to get yeast. Unless it is a big (7+%) batch. By then, the yeast in secondary is quite tired. If you don't mind sifting through the trub of primary, go with it. Yeast in the secondary has been exposed to the higher alcohol level for a longer period of time, putting more strain on the cell walls. For smaller batches, I've even harvested yeast from the bottles.

Next time, save yeast from your starter. Then you don't have to wash anything or worry about contamination. Plus, you'll have the freshest yeast possible.

I just harvested yeast out of the secondary from a mild brown ale. It was very clean but started a little slower than the original. Started blow-out at 18 hours. The original started in less than 12. Charlie

PseudoChef said:
Next time, save yeast from your starter. Then you don't have to wash anything or worry about contamination. Plus, you'll have the freshest yeast possible.

+1, this is what I prefer to do whenever possible. I'll make a 3 quart starter, pitch 2 quarts, then build it back to 3 quarts, then freeze it down.

PseudoChef said:

+1, this is what I prefer to do whenever possible. I'll make a 3 quart starter, pitch 2 quarts, then build it back to 3 quarts, then freeze it down.

Back