Beer gushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maegnar

Reaction score
Dear collegues,

I've recently brewed a batch of quadruple, ~10.5 abv strong, with honey.
And as usual when bottling - I have a "test" bottle, where I pour the last drops from the carboy. Usually this bottle has ~1cm of yeast in it and is 3/5 full with beer.
This bottle is opened the first from the batch, to see what the taste is, if the beer is carbonating, is it drinkable, etc.
So yesterday, after 1 month and 5 days in the bottles, I've opened this test bottle to have a taste of my brew. When opened - the bottle gave out a lot of CO2 "pshhhh" and yeast sediment started going up from the bottom and mixing up with the beer. After it was poured into the glass, the beer looked muddy.
There were no off-flavors in the taste or the smell, so I'm positive it's not an infection of some sort. It was quite good, although with a distinctive yeast flavor.
Now the questions is why this happened? Is the beer just too raw (since it's a larger abv beer, I suppose it needs to stay more than a month in bottles) and needs some more time to settle? Or maybe it's because the beer is stored and was cracked at room temp (~20C), without cooling it off first? Or any other reason?

I hope that someday I will crack a bottle, pour this beer into the glass and it will be crystal clear...

Thanks.

You probably bottled before you reached final gravity. That or your "test" bottle fermented a little bit more after all that yeast was roused during bottling.

You have to cool the bottle first at least 24 hs, if you reached a steady final gravity and properly measure and mix your priming sugar you should not have any problems, put one in the fridge give it 48 hs so the co2 can be absorbed into the liquid and come back to us with your results.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

+1 on what Obliviousbrew said.

If you threw a few bottles into the fridge and let them sit for 4 days to a week the yeast will, more likely than not, compact quite nicely and tightly on the bottom of the bottle and you'll get a much clearer pour. The CO2 will also more efficiently absorb into solution giving a longer lasting carbonation, better head retention and smoother mouthfeel. With the room temp sample you drunk I'd imagine it felt like the gas bubbles were, for want of a better term, "really big" on your tongue?

Thanks for the tips, guys (or girls) - I've put the bottle into the fridge and will report back in a few days on how it was after cooling.

Openning a room temp,unchilled beer creats nucleation points in the bottle & foams up. Kinda like the foam wants to feed on the gas itself to make more foam. I've had one or two do that. So def chill them for a week to get the co2 in the head space into solution. That usually fixes it.

As was recommended - I've chilled one bottle in the fridge for over two days.
This second bottle was fully filled and with average amount of yeast in the bottom.
I was almost praying while opening it - and it went very well. No gushing, the yeast stayed at the bottom and it poured into the glass clear and well.
Now I am considering to bring this ale into our yearly national "show us what you can" homebrewers contest :)

Thanks, guys (or girls).
Your advices were very helpful!

Back