My basement - a work in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
Since I love seeing everyone else show off their work, I thought I'd share mine.

I finished framing and rough drywall. Here are a few shots.

Looking out to the patio. Future bar area on the left and a shelf and a couple stools in that narrow hall. Kind of an odd spot, but didn't want to lose the window and had to box in the furnace.

4365-basement9.jpg

A view from the bar area to where the big TV is going to go. Hopefully there will be a pool table in between. I painted the ceiling black and am using track lighting. I like the way it turned out, but may need to add additional lights.

The cat is there too - Sammy

4365-basement1.jpg

From the TV area to where I hope to put a poker table. You can see my utility area too.

4365-basement2.jpg

Hall to the stairs, the bathroom and my brew closet and what will eventually be the brewery.

4365-basement7.jpg

Shower in the bathroom

4365-basement5.jpg

The vanity and my tile work

4365-basement6.jpg

Current brewing closet. Hoping to abandon this soon and turn it into bulk supplies. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a chest freezer in here and running the taps through the wall

4365-basement3.jpg

Future brewery. Already have my sink, but it's full of crap because of basement work.

4365-basement4.jpg

Fridge is waiting for it's new home and wanting me to get busy. Looks like it needs to be cleaned too.

4365-basement8.jpg

todd_k said:
is that a Ferminator?

In the sink? Ya, needed to clean it out. A friend of mine bought 4 at a reduced price and sold me one at his cost. I couldn't pass it up.

Yea, thats pretty awesome. One of these days I will no longer rent the town house that I live in now, and have a basement of my own to turn into a brewpub. Or maybe ill just keep living in my townhouse, get rich, and open a for real brew pub!!!! I like the second idea!!!!

mikeyc said:
Yea, thats pretty awesome. One of these days I will no longer rent the town house that I live in now, and have a basement of my own to turn into a brewpub. Or maybe ill just keep living in my townhouse, get rich, and open a for real brew pub!!!! I like the second idea!!!!
Heh. I feel your pain. I got a 2 bedroom condo in NJ. I have to brew at my brother-in-laws house.

Man, you've really made some progress since I saw it last! You did all that drywall work yourself? If so, will you do you work for homebrew?! I might need your services in the future ;)

Good job! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Rhoobarb said:
Man, you've really made some progress since I saw it last! You did all that drywall work yourself? If so, will you do you work for homebrew?! I might need your services in the future ;)

Good job! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I hung it all, but hired somebody to tape and mud - he started today. That part would have taken me for ever and I got a great deal. What will take this guy one week would have taken me months and a lot of cussing.

rdwj said:
I hung it all, but hired somebody to tape and mud - he started today. That part would have taken me for ever and I got a great deal. What will take this guy one week would have taken me months and a lot of cussing.

I did the same thing, I finished my basement in April and it took them 4 days what would have taken me atleast 4 weeks. And they did a much better job...I'm sure if I did it, SWMBO would constantly be telling me about all the seams she can see.

Your basement is looking great. Unfortunately, I wasn't brewing beer when I finished mine, so I don't have room for a brewshop/bar :(

P.S. Where in Plainfield do you live? My mother-in-law lives about 1/2 mile from Fox Valley Mall, and I went to high school at Naperville Central.

rdwj said:
Current brewing closet. Hoping to abandon this soon and turn it into bulk supplies. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a chest freezer in here and running the taps through the wall
That is an excellent idea!;)
Looking good. When's the party?

As someone who's peed in that bathroom, I can attest that Rd's done a fine job of fixing his basement. I'm sad to see the pool table go. Now where will you neatly organize all the items it was used for storing?

Cheesefood said:
No kidding? I graduated to the "2's Room" in 1977.

Yep. I look younger than my age due to my high consumption of beer. It fights wrinkles and grey hair.

drunkatuw said:
P.S. Where in Plainfield do you live? My mother-in-law lives about 1/2 mile from Fox Valley Mall, and I went to high school at Naperville Central.

I'm on the north side - about 127th and about a 1/2 mile east of Rt 59

FermentEd said:
That is an excellent idea!;)
Looking good. When's the party?

Ya, I still have your old set up in my favorites for reference. I think I just might copy it.

I'm hoping to break in the basement early next year with some sort of party. I've still got quite a bit of detail work to do before carpeting, but I should be able to make good headway over the holidays.

by the way, what is a basement? is that one of those myths like low-humidity and reasonable Boston sports fan?

seriously, it looks good, keep us posted!

Back