You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
emjay said:
If anything, I think the fixed costs would be MORE relevant to a non-homebrewer, don't you think? Where we see it as an expense for our hobby/enjoyment, a non-homebrewer looking at the costs would pretty much have to take it into account.

It's been a point of debate way too often on this site, and my point wasn't to stir things back up and argue for or against looking at a certain way. :eek:

With that said, this is the last post I'm going to make about it so as not to rile anyone up :D

I personally don't like to add it in to a non homebrewer cause most wouldn't get the hobby aspect of it haha. Most people I know think home brewing is just to save money. It's like them spending thousands on computers because they are huge into IT.

Btw I'm not riled up just a friendly conversation although we have gotten waaaaay off topic haha

Hulud said:
Btw I'm not riled up just a friendly conversation although we have gotten waaaaay off topic haha

Oh, I know. But some veteran posters might get irritated about that particular debate popping up again for the 12,000th time, which wasn't my intention :D

emjay said:
Oh, I know. But some veteran posters might get irritated about that particular debate popping up again for the 12,000th time, which wasn't my intention :D

Lol yea enough then haha

duckredbeard said:
When I die and my wife sells my equipment for what I've told her I spent, somebody is getting seriously HOOKED UP.

Lol what's your name? I'm gonna keep checking the AJC obituaries then classifieds

Erroneous said:
I like to think of homebrewing equipment as a great thing to pass on to your children.

Yeah, but I know where all my home brewing equipment is going if something happens to me. Scrap yard and the trash. My wife and I took some cans to the recycling center today and I ended up buying a keg. Once my wife was over her initial annoyance of me spending more than what we made from the cans, she asked me "you can scrap those things and get money? I know where your three are going if you die."

duckredbeard said:
When I die and my wife sells my equipment for what I've told her I spent, somebody is getting seriously HOOKED UP.

Hehe... you're actually not even the first person to suggest this!

Leave a comment about it in your will ;)

emjay said:
Hehe... you're actually not even the first person to suggest this!

Leave a comment about it in your will ;)

I'm willing it to the guy who got me started. He's been using the same stuff we started with in '95.

ThreeSheetsBrewing said:
Replaced a water heater to a tankless model to have more equipment storage space.

Now that is not only energy efficiency, that is space efficiency too! Kudos!!!

Replaced a water heater to a tankless model to have more equipment storage space.

When a friend converted to a tankless water heater, thought his old water heater might make a good HLT. Or at least I could use the burner if I mounted it to a stand.

sweetcell said:
You know you're a home brewer when you can argue for two and half pages about whether or not fixed costs need to be taken into consideration when discussing the the cost of a bottle of homebrew.

Who would ever do that?

Oh wait...

When I heard on the news a low of 41 dagrees tonight, and the first thing that came to mind was my primary buckets in the basement.

When you are out for a jog and catch a wiff of something that is probably a weed but smells an awful lot like hops. Then you slow down and look for someone growing hops!

nukebrewer said:
Had my boss tell me, "If you're a real brew master you'll brew the White House beers and serve them to us here at work." I very nearly face palmed right in front of him.

I answer this one with "you get me real White House honey, I'll brew the beer, but the secret service told me to quit hopping the wall."

When you make a batch so disappointing that you bring the keg to a work party instead of drinking it with friends...and your coworkers still prefer it to the commercial beers.

When you tell your wife, when buying a house, you need an extra bedroom for brewing

Hulud said:
Lol I wasn't brewing then so I couldn't add input there

Well swmbo has already said no to me using the kitchen for brewing purposes, although we both know I am the one that will be doing the majority of the cooking...she says I am the better cook of the two of us. But I get the spare bedroom as a man cave.

When you're seriously contemplating making a beer with random fruits, grains, and spices you see in the pantry. Wonder what it would taste like if I made a beer with rice, apples, and allspice.....

When you go over to SWMBO's house to check on your beer fermenting in her basement, and the reason she thinks you came over was to spend time with her...

alpha224 said:
Well swmbo has already said no to me using the kitchen for brewing purposes, although we both know I am the one that will be doing the majority of the cooking...she says I am the better cook of the two of us. But I get the spare bedroom as a man cave.

I get the spare bedroom as well that where my big HDTV is and that's also where I am currently carving my kegs

Hulud said:
I get the spare bedroom as well that where my big HDTV is and that's also where I am currently carving my kegs

You know you are a homebrewer when you carve your own kegs. Wow.

Back