I will build your IPA/IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
I'm bored and I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to provide. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

Please post the following:
The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil

Kettle size (size - in gallons):
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons):
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain:
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?:
Are you able to rack to secondary?:
Boil size (in gallons):
Batch size (in gallons):
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs:
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs:
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?:
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?:
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high):
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class):
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure):
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):

I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to give. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil:

Kettle size (size - in gallons):
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?):
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain:
Are you able to rack to secondary?:
Boil size (in gallons):
Batch size (in gallons):
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?:
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?:
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high):
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class):
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure):
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):

I'm in!

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): Bucket - 6
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: AG
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: No
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 6-7
Batch size (in gallons): 5-6
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Dogfish 60, Hop Head by Tree Brewing Co., Hoptical Illusion by Flying Monkeys
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Dogfish 90, Alchemist Heady Topper (dear god this is amazing), Lawson's Finest Liquids IIPA, Smashbomb by Flying Monkeys (could also just be a normal IPA)
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-7%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: I love making yeast starters - people see the flask and think I'm cooking meth.
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 4
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2.5?
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

This will be fun!

Just what I was looking for! I came on here looking for ideas for IPA recipes, this will be my 3rd brew and Ive used clones for my first 2, but wanted to switch it up a little bit this time. Disclaimer though: I dont have full boil capability, so you can answer or not, but I'd appreciate any recipe ideas you can give. I really want to make a full bodied IPA with strong malt as well as hop flavor with a good alcohol content, but not so thick or bitter to the point where its a struggle to get through one of them. Id also like to try my hand at dry hopping with this batch. Thanks in advance.

I'm bored and I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to provide. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 5 gal i believe? I usually do a partial boil w/3 gals for my 5 gal batch
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): I have both - standard bottling bucket, 6 1/2 gal carboy
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Extract
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: WTF is that?
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yes
Boil size (in gallons): 3 gals
Batch size (in gallons): 5 gals
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: DH 60 min, Lagunitas IPA, Stone IPA
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Stone Double Dry-Hopped Ruination, Great Divide Titan IPA
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-6.5%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: I use liquid yeast
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 2
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 2.5
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2.5 - this is really what IM aiming for: full body, even malt and hops to answer your question below. Not quite a sipper...I want to be able to drink 2or 3, but I really want the full body to be the focus with the hops
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):

Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): Bucket - 6
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Dogfish 60, Hop Head by Tree Brewing Co., Hoptical Illusion by Flying Monkeys
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Dogfish 90, Alchemist Heady Topper (dear god this is amazing), Lawson's Finest Liquids IIPA, Smashbomb by Flying Monkeys (could also just be a normal IPA)
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-7%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: I love making yeast starters - people see the flask and think I'm cooking meth.
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2.5?
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

You'll have to settle for 7.7% abv...

6.50 gallon boil
5.20 gallon batch
90 minute boil
1.073 OG
1.015 FG
90 IBUs
19 day primary, 12 day secondary (with dryhops)

6 lbs. 8 oz. Rahr American 2-row
3 lbs. 8 oz. Fawcett Marris Otter
1 lb. 8 oz. German 2-row Pils
1 lb. 2 oz. Corn Sugar (Late Addition)
1 lb. Cara-pils
4 oz. American Crystal 40

1.0 oz. Columbus leaf 14.0 @ 60 min
1.0 oz. Chinook leaf 11.0 @ 20 min
1.0 oz. Amarillo leaf 10.0 @ 10 min
1.0 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ 10 min
1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0 @ flameout
1.5 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ flameout
1.0 oz. Amarillo leaf 10.0 @ 12 day dryhop
1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0 @ 12 day dryhop
1.5 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ 12 day dryhop

2.1 liter WLP001 Starter w/Intermittent Shaking

My third ever is in the secondary now - a wheat. Looking to brew an IPA next. Thanks for the recipe offer.

Kettle size: 7 Gal
Carboy 6 Gal
Extract + Steeping Grains
Do you BIAB? What the Hell is that?:
Boil size (in gallons): 5
Batch size (in gallons): 5 Are Boil and Batch Different?
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Lagunitas Maximus, Founders Centennial, Peak Organic, Monday Night Eye Patch
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Hop Stoopid, Bells Hopslam, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5.5-7
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Can make starter and have stir plate
Quality expectation: 3-4
Balance 3:
Body: 2
Malt profile: 3

I'm sending this via iPhone so it's free form. I'd like some awesome recipes that don't use centennial, cascade, chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe. Why? Because I've done lots of them with those hops, and I have pounds of Columbus, Williamette, Galena, brewers gold, and several others that I would like to use up.

Anything else is open, I have plenty of different grains, can do a starter, extra carboys and kegs etc.

Got anything good? I like just about every ipa I drink (had a home brew lakefront clone and a real flower power tonight, both tasty!)

What the hell, im in..

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10 gal blichmann, or 15.5gal keggle
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6 gallon carboy
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: all grain
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5-7
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Founders cent IPA, founders all day IPA, big sky IPA, new belguim....Zombie dust, and yes its borderline ipa...lol
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Founders Double trouble, hopslam, New Glarus IIpa

What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6.5
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: yes
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): either. 6gallon better bottle, standard ale pails, 5 gallon carboy
Are you able to rack to secondary?: no
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5-7
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: prefer dry, not against starters
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3-4
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3-4
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 2

As far as favorites go, around here we don't have a great selection of IPAs or IIPAs and when we do get them, they aren't very fresh. Love dogfish, and all 3 Floyd's. Alpha King is a little over rated though. Gumballhead is one of my favorite beers

You'll have to settle for 7.7% abv...

6.50 gallon boil
5.20 gallon batch
90 minute boil
1.073 OG
1.015 FG
90 IBUs
19 day primary, 12 day secondary (with dryhops)

6 lbs. 8 oz. Rahr American 2-row
3 lbs. 8 oz. Fawcett Marris Otter
1 lb. 8 oz. German 2-row Pils
1 lb. 2 oz. Corn Sugar (Late Addition)
1 lb. Cara-pils
4 oz. American Crystal 40

1.0 oz. Chinook leaf 11.0 @ 20 min
1.0 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ 10 min
1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0 @ flameout
1.5 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ flameout
1.0 oz. Amarillo leaf 10.0 @ 12 day dryhop
1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0 @ 12 day dryhop
1.5 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ 12 day dryhop

2.1 liter WLP001 Starter w/Intermittent Shaking

I shall make this on May 17. We'll see how she goes! I think my LHBS is out of Amarillo, so I may sub with simcoe. But we'll see. Also depending on their prices for leaf hops, I may just go pellet. Again, we'll see.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 20
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): Bucket - 6
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes, usually don't
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5 (~1.25 gal/hr boil off rate) - higher size for more trub or longer boil, of course
Batch size (in gallons): 5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: DFH 60, Stone IPA, Sam Adams Latitude 48 (esp. Deconstructed Ahtanum)
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Alchemist Heady Topper, Stone Ruination, Terrapin Hopsecutioner
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5-8%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: If needed for a flavor profile, although I'm finding dry yeast to be more than adequate for most beers
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3 (< 100 IBUs)
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

Heady Topper is probably the perfect example of what I want. I love the floral and spicy hop notes - I'm getting bored with just bitterness. Citra or something similar would be lovely. A malt aftertaste is perfect.

Thank you!

Stephonovich said:
Heady Topper is probably the perfect example of what I want. I love the floral and spicy hop notes - I'm getting bored with just bitterness. Citra or something similar would be lovely. A malt aftertaste is perfect.

Thank you!

If you ever crack that code, please share with me! Heady Topper is the best liquid ever to exist.

I like this game!

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8gals
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6gals
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: All grain
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5-6
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 7-8%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Can't make a yeast starter :(
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2-3
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 2

Heck, I'll bite!

I'd really like to use what I already have available, so maybe you can work within the below parameters. I'm fine with buying some specialty malts but would like to not buy any additional hops.

I've got pale ale malt, pilsner malt, Munich malt, and wheat malt. For hops I've got:

Citra 2 oz.
Amarillo 1 oz.
Pearle 3 oz.
Magnum 3 oz.
Cascade 3 oz.
Tettnang 1 oz.
NB 6 oz.
Kent Goldings 2 oz.
Palisade 1 oz.
Glacier 1 oz.
Liberty 1 oz.
Falc Flight 4 oz.
Saaz 8 oz.
Columbus 13 oz.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10g
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6.5g carboy
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: no
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yup
Boil size (in gallons): up to 10g
Batch size (in gallons): 6g
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Avery IPA, Ranger, Green Flash West Coast
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: DagunA, Pliny the Elder, Saint Arnold Endeaver, Hop Stoopid
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6.5-8%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Either works.

Patience level: 4-high

Quality expectation: 4-I want world class

Balance: 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness

Body: 1-Thin and highly drinkable

Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters: a mix of 1 and 3. I want the malt to matter and what I do taste, I want it to be a more complex backbone. Adding pilsner or wheat is welcome.

Looking forward to what you come up with! :D

I have a family emergency I must attend to this weekend. I'll try and respond with some more recipes soon.

HopnessMontster, you're next

Batch size (in gallons): 5 Are Boil and Batch Different?

Yes, they are different for full volume boils with no top off water added. Evaporation occurs during the boil. In 60 minutes, usually about 0.70 to 1.2 gallons water is typically lost. Boiloff rate depends on your kettle measurements, heat output, and many other factors.

Cool thread. Take as much time as you like. Feel free to reply in terms as general or specific as you like. Anyone else who wants to chime in, I'm all ears.
I left out the commercial examples, because I almost never buy beer. I would like to make some IPA's where the hops are the star, but are willing to share the spotlight. I have MO and rye as my base grains, and am willing to supplement with specialty; although I believe caramel is that gooey stuff in candy bars and crystal is a kind of meth.

My hop inventory:simcoe, citra, cascade, apollo, Chinook, Columbus, Magnum, Crystal, Willamette, Pacific gem
WYeast Farm:1056, 3522, 1388, 1762, 1318, 1335, 3724

Kettle size[/B] 7
Bucket? 5 gallons):
All-Grain: Specifically MO
Do you BIAB? No
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Able, but disinclined
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5ish
Batch size (in gallons): 5ish
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 4-8
Can you make a yeast starter: yes
Patience level: 3.5
Quality expectation: 3.5
Balance: 3.5
Body: 2
Malt profile:3

Looking to brew an IPA next. Thanks for the recipe offer.

I don't have much time today to reduce this recipe to 5 gallons, but here is something fairly easy that I think you would enjoy:

6.30 gallon boil
5.50 gallon batch
60 minute boil
1.064 OG
1.015 FG
6.5% ABV
79.0 IBUs
18 day primary, 10 day secondary (with dryhops)

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
3 lbs. Extra Light DME (Late Addition)
8 oz. Corn Sugar (Late Addition)
8 oz. Crystal 20 (Crushed, Steeped)
8 oz. Crystal 60 (Crushed, Steeped)

1.0 oz. Simcoe leaf 12.0 @ 10 min
1.0 oz. Amarillo leaf 11.0 @ flameout
1.0 oz. Simcoe leaf 13.0 @ flameout
1.5 oz. Amarillo leaf 11.0 @ 10 day dryhop
1.5 oz. Simcoe leaf 13.0 @ 10 day dryhop

1.3 to 1.5 liter WLP007 Starter w/Stir Plate

I've noticed you recommend using leaf hops over pellets. Just out of curiosity, why is that?

I like using pellets during flameout and dryhop since I feel you get more oil release from them during these stages. They are also easier to work with. But a big thing that leaf hops have going for them is that the supplier cannot hide their quality/freshness/purity. What you see is what you get. With pellet hops, quality "can" be more debatable.

Additionally, IPAs use more hops than other beer styles. Homebrewers usually buy leaf hops in bulk (12-16 oz. minimums) at places like hopsdirect.com or freshops.com - They may even get bulk discounts from their local LHBS. Hopsdirect usually has more variety of leaf hops suitable for American IPAs and Freshops doesn't even sell pellets.

Pale Ale malt
Pilsener malt
Munich malt
Wheat malt

Citra 2 oz. (late)
Amarillo 1 oz. (late)
Magnum 3 oz. (early)
Cascade 3 oz. (late)
NB 6 oz. (early or late)
Palisade 1 oz. (late)
Falc Flight 4 oz. (late)
Columbus 13 oz. (early or late)

All-Grain
Kettle size: 10g
Batch size (in gallons): 6g
Carboy: 6.5g w/secondary
6.5 - 8% abv
Thin and highly drinkable

I want the malt to matter and what I do taste, I want it to be a more complex backbone. Adding pilsener or wheat is welcome.

Edit:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1348727/imperial-ipa-recipes/double-boomerang-ipa

I included mash and fermentation intructions on page 2. Scale the recipe up to 10 gallons and I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Sub the hops for any of the above mentioned. Another good combo would be Columbus, Citra, Amarillo, Falconers Flight.

Barooze, I created a recipe on hopville called "Boomerang IPA". Unfortunately, hopville is down for maintenance at the moment, but check it out when you get a chance. Scale it up to 10 gallons and I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Sub the hops for any of the above mentioned.

Sounds great! Thanks! :ban:

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 11
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): 6.5
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Partial
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: no or yes
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yes
Boil size (in gallons): ?
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: DFH 60 min. Two hearted ale. laqunitas
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: DFH 90 min. hopsolutley. hop monster
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: dont matter
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: dry yeast
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):3
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):3

Just a reminder that I have not forgotten about my recipe. The BobBrews IIPA will be brewed tomorrow morning! Yipee!

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 15 gallon
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6.5 bucket
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: All Grain BIAB
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Yes BIAB
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5-7 gallons
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5 gallons to account for trub
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Lagunitas A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, Two Hearted, Zombie Dust
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Hopslam - can't remember many others that were good enough for me to crave again
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Yes to yeast starter
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2

Thanks!

I can do a full boil, but that would leave my batch rather small. I can get a mild sorta boil from 4 gallons, but much better when I start with 3.5. I boil off about 1.2 gallons in an hour.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 5 gallons
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): (3) 5 gallon and (1) 6.5 gallon bucket
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: extract + grains
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: not familiar with it
Are you able to rack to secondary?: can
Boil size (in gallons): 3.5 - 4 gallons
Batch size (in gallons): prefer to top off for a greater volume, otherwise about 2.3 gallons
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Ranger, Stone's, Inversion (don't recall what I thought of Full Sail or Belgo)
IPA's I didn't like were: Bridegeport's and St Arnold's, with Big Sky kinda iffy
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Hop Czar and Extra Torpedo (Trying to achieve a piney taste similar to my 1st experience with)
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5.7-6.5%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: starter (have washed 1272 and WLP 001, but can get another if needed)
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2-3, but I'm also interested in 4
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 2-4

Hopville doesnt give a flameout option, but post-boil is essentially the same thing. My advice for the best aroma would be to quick chill the wort to 150-160 F, then at that point, slow-chill & steep the post-boil hops for 30-60 minutes when the wort is between 100-160 F... not to add the post-boil hops directly after flameout when the wort is piping hot. I find the latter method to be no better than a 1-5 minute addition.

Always happy to get advice from a fellow brewer, thanks!

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 12
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6.5 glass carboy
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 9
Batch size (in gallons): 6.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Union Jack, Sculpin, Dogfish 60
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Double Jack, Maharaja, Evolution Lot #6, Double Trouble
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Dry

bobbrews said:
Hopville doesnt give a flameout option, but post-boil is essentially the same thing. My advice for the best aroma would be to quick chill the wort to 150-160 F, then at that point, slow-chill & steep the post-boil hops for 30-60 minutes when the wort is between 100-160 F... not to add the post-boil hops directly after flameout when the wort is piping hot. I find the latter method to be no better than a 1-5 minute addition.

Ok thanks, I will definitely try that and report back with the results.

Always happy to get advice from a fellow brewer, thanks!

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 12
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6.5 glass carboy
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 9
Batch size (in gallons): 6.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Union Jack, Sculpin, Dogfish 60
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Double Jack, Maharaja, Evolution Lot #6, Double Trouble
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Dry

Here you go. Remember to check the process page (page 2) as well. You may have to use liquid yeast w/starter for this one... http://hopville.com/recipe/1384994/american-ipa-recipes/firestone-union-jack-clone

If your efficiency is higher than 70%, clone the recipe, make the proper efficiency rate adjustment, and add more hops/grain to reach 1.070 / 1.014 and 80-ish IBUs Rager. Pay attention to the notes about dryhopping.

Thanks for that tidbit. I've been considering doing that since my flameout additions aren't giving me what I want.

Back