What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drank a lot of homebrew tonight, thereby demanding more supplies from brew shops.

I did buy some supplies for freezing harvested yeast. I had been storing the yeast in jars, but I like how the frozen yeast takes up less room and can be stored for longer. Bad news for WYeast, but I paid my share. Now more "house" strains of yeast for me:

2 Belgians (Westmalle and Chimay)
Bells
Kolsch
German Wheat
Munich Lager

Looking now for another 2 or 3 to sub in. Love those yeasties!.

I put 55 12oz bottles in a mild oxyclean solution for an overnight bath in prep for bottling my first lager tomorrow..

umm... today ?:

1. I brewed a Belgian blond triple (came out darker then expected), made on the go additions to the recipe (an extra ounce of a noble flavor and some orange peal)
2. made some equipment modifications
3. hung around beer forums
4. pitched the yeast, and customized the blow-off
5. prepared bottles by drinking 2 pints of Seffe

Now Both of my fermentors are occupied with big beers !

Ohh.. and my new racking cane arrived in mail !

umm... today ?:

1. I brewed a Belgian blond triple (came out darker then expected), made on the go additions to the recipe (an extra ounce of a noble flavor and some orange peal)
2. made some equipment modifications
3. hung around beer forums
4. pitched the yeast, and customized the blow-off
5. prepared bottles by drinking 2 pints of Seffe

Now Both of my fermentors are occupied with big beers !

Ohh.. and my new racking cane arrived in mail !

You need more fermentors dude!

weighed hops, bagged hops, sold hops, created hops spreadsheet, and had to drink a budlight because i spent to much time and energy on hops to clean beer lines and tap another corny of homebrew

The fermentation started in todays brew... It's like a hurricane in there, very violent... I am putting up ice to keep the temp down :)

Yahh it looks like the 2 I got are going to be occupied for a while :)

The fermentation started in todays brew... It's like a hurricane in there, very violent... I am putting up ice to keep the temp down :)

Yahh it looks like the 2 I got are going to be occupied for a while :)

Go to local bakery's and get free 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids, get gromets from Lowes, order a couple airlocks, and you can make 4 gallon batches.. I have a few of these plus 3 gal, and 2 gal for test batches... You can't beat free buckets!

Free 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids ? Free ? :)

I have 2 more 5g buckets for secondary, to rack back into the carboys.... Could probably use one of them for fermentation... hmm...

Free 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids ? Free ? :)

I have 2 more 5g buckets for secondary, to rack back into the carboys.... Could probably use one of them for fermentation... hmm...

Yup, I get them at the bakery at Albertsons, Walmart, Krispy Kreme, and a local Mexican bakery down the street from me. Just ask, they are usually happy to oblige. If not, just look in their dumpsters ;)

HomeDepot sells them for like $3, there is a red one and white one and they are both food grade.

Probably call PolandSprings and ask for like a water delivery, and they will bring 3 carboys filled already with filtered water :)

This morning I order a # each of cascade, willamette & magnum hops from hopsdirect and I'm going to keg my oatmeal stout later tonight

Weekend homebrew activities

Today: partially install brewery ceiling, clean out dirty keezer, raise keezer up on cinder blocks, build and stain lower keezer skirt to hide cinder blocks, jb weld angle brackets on keezer to hold 19 inch drip tray afixed by magnets, build 2x2x2 wooden eBIAB keggle stand.

Tomorrow: Finish brewery ceiling when I have help, trim out a window in brewery, plumb in tub sink in brewery, do a water test on new eBIAB keggle.

Rain screwed up my schedule so I only ran to the LHBS for some yeast packs and my Blichmann burner got delivered. Tomorrow I do the brewing I was going to do today though (British Pale Ale).

Hi guys, first real post on this site. I might make an introduction later on sometime.

Anyways, what I did today:

Checked on my WLP001 Starter. Looks good so far, smells like a starter (I think, it is my first one) I will probably tuck it into the fridge tonight, as I don't plan on using it for a little while.

Checked the gravities on my 2 brews in Primary-

Rye APA is looking and tasting good, however its attenuation leaves a bit to be desired, at 1.021/2. I then added 2oz of US Saaz to it for a dry hop.

My first all-grain, SMaSH APA, is looking great! Super clear and light colored, just how I wanted. It is 2 row pale/Cascade. Unfortunately the BIAB operation ended up a little haywire and it ended up with a bit of an astringency background to it, though the malty/cerealy flavor up front is great. I checked the attenuation and it is down to 1.012. Very happy with this. Added 1 oz of Cascade for dry hop.

Somewhat related to brewing, I did my taxes today. I am setting aside half of my return for savings and the rest... well, lets just say my wishlist at Midwest is about to shrink considerably.

Rain screwed up my schedule so I only ran to the LHBS for some yeast packs and my Blichmann burner got delivered. Tomorrow I do the brewing I was going to do today though (British Pale Ale).

Hey whats up? I just scrolled up after re-reading my post (lame, I know) and noticed it said the rain ruined your plans. I then saw that your username was TomSD, and then I saw you are in Lemon Grove. Small world! I am near Lemon Grove as well.

I drank my very first homebrew while brewing a batch of IPA.

I also "tasted" a crumb of Cascade pellet hops with my eye. Don't ask me how but it friggin BURNED.

I took some hydro samples of my brews in primary, planned a couple recipes on Hopville, and emailed a guy on Craigslist about a cooler to convert into a mash tun.

kosmokramer said:
weighed hops, bagged hops, sold hops, created hops spreadsheet, and had to drink a budlight because i spent to much time and energy on hops to clean beer lines and tap another corny of homebrew

God bless you, you are doing us all a favor.

I drank one of my homebrews, trolled HBT, printed a Damnation clone recipe to see how close mine is, and talked to a pro stainless welder about some serious brew welding plans.

Picked up some propane for tomorrow's brew day.

Thank you for reminding me, I need to do that tomorrow. I'm brewing on Tuesday. Or, as I'm now calling it, Brewsday.

Working at a homebrew shop is costing me money...

[edit] It snowed today, which slowed business down, so we brewed an imperial stout today. We had a 33 pound jug of dark LME arrive with a puncture wound, so we used about 12 pounds for a 5 gallon batch. O.G. was 1.090.

Picked up propane and some valves to upgrade my Mash Tun and HLT. Bottled 5 gallons of Caramel Amber Ale, cleaned up, brewed 5 gallons of Raging Irish Red, subbed Hellertau for Crystal, drank some Dampf Beer and cleaned up.

homebeerbrewer said:
Thank you for reminding me, I need to do that tomorrow. I'm brewing on Tuesday. Or, as I'm now calling it, Brewsday.

Working at a homebrew shop is costing me money...

[edit] It snowed today, which slowed business down, so we brewed an imperial stout today. We had a 33 pound jug of dark LME arrive with a puncture wound, so we used about 12 pounds for a 5 gallon batch. O.G. was 1.090.

Rick is this you?

I just got the BK on the stove with about 3 gallons of water at 9:17am. Gunna brew my sunset gold apa with Ahtanum & Sterling hops.

I'm soaking some pry-off bottles to remove the labels and enjoying an Imperial Stout that I bottled in the beginning of November.
s9YFO.jpg

sour mashed last nite for a berliner weisse today. letting the lacto get a head start with the heating pad on... pitch tonite, or tomorrow if i get too drunk fatching wootball

just pitched a sacc on top of that berliner weisse. Those lacto critters were crawling and it smelled like sour heaven (no meat or baby vomit). you got lucky this time, spearko.

I had to add hot water to the bin my carboy is in. I pitched my yeast at 4PM yesterday and placed it in a tub of tap water, ambient temp is around 67 in my house. When I woke up at 4AM, fermentation was going but the carboy said it was about 58 degrees, not ideal but this method should be useful come spring and summer. Since 1450 likes it around 64 I decided to add some hot water to raise up the temp.

Back