Brett Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I am new to brewing with these types of yeast and although all my reading in this forum has me to believe I know the answer I am not 100% sure either. I brought 2 Bretts assuming they would come with more details but still no information on aging suggestions. What I have purchased are Brettanomyces Lambicus Activator 5526, Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Activator Wyeast 5112. I have already brewed both, the Lambicus with Blueberries. The Brett B. has been in the primary for 5 weeks and the Brett L. I brewed this past Saturday. My question is simple. How long should I age these in my secondary and how long in the bottle? What is the minimum I should age? From what I understand I may want to age in the primary for a year and maybe 6 months in the bottle?? :confused:

My 100% Brett beers (2ea L, 1ea C) have all gotten to their TG (about 80-85% AA) in a month or so. I've let them age out another month, so typically two months before they hit the bottle. Once you have a stable gravity, don't be concerned with bottle bombs.
But, I would certainly hang onto many bottles as they age very well. OldSock just tasted his last bottle of Mo Betta Bretta clone that was 2+ years old and he said it held up very well.

Well, after both being in the primary for a year now or so and some bottle conditioning I am pleased with how both came out. A few weeks back I bought 2 bottles of Lindeman's Rene Cuvee Gueze and tried one bottle. Nice and sour, very good. I swear my Brett B came out very close to this but I think I am going to have to try the second bottle in a side by side taste test with mine to be sure. I am sure the Rene Cuvee Gueze will be the better product but I am excited how they both came out. I have learned some things I may have done wrong like not needing to primary age for so long but I really think the time and effort is worth it for these styles and I plan to do more. Kind of like hiding a present that you open a year later.

Back