Lifted Tacoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
Has anybody ever lifted a 2001 toyota tacoma, or any other similar year? I have just a regular 2.4L 2001 tacoma extra cab and would like a little bit more height? any know if you can even buy a kit for one?

Well I just wanted know if I can even buy a kit for my model. Probably most people with this model truck wouldn't lift it. It is obviously pure aesthetics, because its not an off road car. I looked at that kit, however its for the 4wd and Pre-runner models, which have a different chassis.

Probably most people with this model truck wouldn't lift it. It is obviously pure aesthetics, because its not an off road car.

Ivan Stewart raced a 2wd Toyota. Plenty of people lift 2wd's as prerunners, you're just not going to be doing any rock-crawling in it--that's what Jeeps are for. ;)

Thanks for the site. Yeah I checked out the 2" spacers, they look like a fairly easy install. Ive done a lift like that on a jeep before, so I should be able to bust it on the toyota. Ide probably rather go with the 3" lift but you need to use a coil compressor, and I dont really feel like messing with one. besides, my tires are still good and dont want to replace them, by the time its got a 2" lift, the wheels might look a bit funny.

you're just not going to be doing any rock-crawling in it--that's what Jeeps are for. ;)

Puhlease

Toy's know how to crawl.
14478-taller_stump2_116.jpg

Why not?

Check here 24wd 95-05 6 lug for some info

With my limited expertise (Read: I know nothing, but I've read the mychevytruck.com forums).

There's a body lift and a suspension lift. With a body lift, you're not getting any ground clearance, just lifting, well, the body. It kind of looks like ass and people with "real" lifts will make fun of you.

I'd love to lift my 03 TrailBlazer, but back then there really weren't any options for anything realistically cool looking (or worth paying for)...

You do a bodylift for bigger tires only. That's why.

Right, I know why to use body VS suspension. My questions was, without knowing why he wants a lift why say not to get a body lift? Maybe bigger tires and the look of a big truck is all he is looking for, that's all I was saying.

"it kinda looks like ass and people with real lifts will make fun of you"

I didn't think my old truck looked like ass and I was never made fun of :confused:
Would I have rather put a suspension lift off, sure but didn't have the money then so I did a body lift.

I will note that I was not a much into offroad(with my truck anyways) as I was into just having a nice truck
ranger.jpg

Picture017.jpg

"it kinda looks like ass and people with real lifts will make fun of you"

I didn't think my old truck looked like ass and I was never made fun of :confused:
Would I have rather put a suspension lift off, sure but didn't have the money then so I did a body lift.

I should clarify... it was the impression that I got from reading the (Chevy) message board... sorry :mug:

Bodylifts on alot of chevs show alot of frame afterwards, hence why alot of people say they look bad and recommend the suspension lift....other trucks not so much....as you can see with the ranger, bodylift doesn't look bad at all. I did a bodylift on my Durango and i think it looks good....:mug:

I had a body lift on a truck one time, I don't think I would do it again. It seemed to develop squeaks and noises. I didn't really do much off-roading with it either. It DID look god though.

Here's mine, with a 3" BL.....i don't find the frame shows too much. Search for pics of a chev with a 3" BL and it hangs down alot more.

IMG_2077.jpg

body lifts have thier own inherent issues. most only extend the body mounts but not the pads leaving not enough support. I suggest against them because they are only a cheap trick to get it lifted. do the lift the right way. depending on what your going for is how i would approach this. if you want a good pre-runner then check out the taco sites and find out what they suggest. budget minded people will suggest body lifts again cause they are cheap. but suspension lifts are the best way to go. what do you plan on doing with this pre-runner? are you actually going to pre-run or you going to be a parking lot queen? here is one version of a lift 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner V6 SR5 - TTORA Forum

to me it is a pavement pounder and would never see a dirt road and if they are its at slow speed. just what ever you do research the lift before buying because there are allot of things to consider. ride quality and over all life of lift. dont just buy lift blocks and think thats it.

BTW been crawling for about 10 years in my 88 suzuki samurai back before samis were popular. need to get some pics scanned

Off topic..... I want to go! I miss my old lifted 84 Silverado shorty. :(

if i only went in the last 3 years. havent had time to work on the sami to do its normal maint since i have been working working working. but i will say next time i go out ill more then be happy to let ya come along.

what do you plan on doing with this pre-runner? are you actually going to pre-run or you going to be a parking lot queen?

Im not going for a pre-runner, im just lifting the front end to level out my truck. Its a light 2.4L L4 2wd truck with a low nose. If I were actually going for a pre-runner it would require like $3-5,000 plus it would have to have the rear locking differentials etc. Its not the right truck to be turned into a pre-runner. ( in my opinion.)The lift is more for aesthetic reasons only, with the hopes of bigger tires when I actually need new tires. I found a kit by sky-jacker which is basically 2" spacers that utilizes the existing suspension. So its not a body lift, but its not really new suspension, its more of a "leveling Kit". I now just got to get my hands on a floor jack, jack stands etc. and start really getting under there and looking and poking around before I really go for it.

Latest posts

Back