too much carbonation..and bad flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergutguy

Reaction score
I brewed a basic red ale. It seemed to go just fine, and had good flavor right at bottleing. After 3 weeks, I opened my 1st bottle..pretty carbinated, and flavor was so/so. After 6 weeks, still pretty carbinated, flavor is pretty repulsive.
I did not do a secondary fermentation..should have of?

Unfortunatly all 3 bottles I have opened taste the same and have the same carb. problem.

Does it taste sour? Is it gushing when opened? If it is, it is probably a gusher infection.

Or, is it just plain bad tasting, due to the recipe? If you post your recipe, maybe we can figure out what went wrong. In addition, could you describe the bad flavor? Like, astringent, salty, soapy, bitter, sour (sour like sour milk, or sour like vinegar- different kinds of sour even), etc.

yep it was a kit, unfortuantley i did not keep the ingredients. I did experiment with using 2 different types of hops. harluten, and i think liberty. It only called for liberty. the taste is pungent, not really sour. I'll open another when it chills and give you a better description. Do you think I should let the beer sit longer?, or is it time to think of getting the plants drunk one last time b4 winter?

Wild yeast or bacteria get into your beer and eat the sugars that your "good" yeast couldn't. That will leave you with a water-y, unpleasant-tasting, excessively-carbonated alcoholic liquid that will gush out of the bottle when you open it.

It happened to me with one of my earliest batches. First bottle: "Hmmm, this is a little off." Second: "Why is my beer losing rather than gaining taste as it ages?" Third bottle: WHOOSH.

Sucked.

Back