Cherry Stout - how long on the fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe4life

Reaction score
Two and a half weeks ago I brewed a sweet stout, O.G. 1.070. It's down to 1.020 and I want to transfer to secondary and put it on cherry puree.

1) Is it too early to do this
2) How long should it stay on the cherry puree

Thanks!

I'm leaving my Spiced Cherry Dubbel on the fruit for a month.
5 Gallons on 6 lbs of fruit. I let mine ferment out for 3 weeks before I racked it onto the fruit.

i did a rasberry stout and i left it on the fruit for 2 weeks and man did it taste like ****. I did do 1 pound/gal so that also could have been what it was but i would deffinitly recomend tasting it along the way and when it hits that taste your looking for- rack it off. Deffinitly taste it every few days though

For a fruit beer, I add about 10# of fruit and let it sit for about 2-3 weeks. With the dark grains, they will more than likely over power the subtle taste from the cherries, but it will be a good combination. I have made a cherry porter already and it was very tasty.

This turned out awesome and my sour cherry ale turned out even better!

Sour cherry stout
7 lbs John Bull unhopped dark malt
1 lb dried muntons dark malt
1 pound crystal malt
1/2 lb black patent malt
1/2 lb roasted malt

1 oz Galena 10.1%
.5 oz nugget 11.2%- both added @60 min

.5 Mt Hood @ 15 min
O.G.- 1.061
irish ale yeast wlp 004

Put 5 lbs of sour cherries into secondary and then racked on top of it. Put into tertiary and let sit for about 1-2 months

Two weeks on fruit is a good starting point. However, it'll vary from yeast strains, diff temps, desired flavor, etc.

Word of warning: use a terticiary (after secondary) fermenter (clearing tub) so that you don't get gushers/bombs when puttting fruit on secondary.

-May the Yeast be With You

Latest posts

Back