sugar to alcohol conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kr651129

Reaction score
Is there a formula that I could use to determine how many lbs of sugar equals x% of extra alcohol. I just received my new kit today and I'd like to raise the expected alcohol content a few points.

Thanks

(*This info provided via http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/39981-sugar-notes/)

2 oz. (4 TBSP) sugar raises 1 gallon's s.g. by .005
½ cup honey raises 1 gallon’s s.g. by .010
1 cup sugar raises 1 gallon's s.g. by .020
5 cups raises 5 gallons' s.g. by .020
1 gallon water to 1.095 takes 2#2oz. Sugar
5 gallons water to 1.095 takes 10#10oz. Sugar
4# sugar = 9.44 cups
1# sugar = 2.36 cups
5# sugar = 11.8 cups
10# sugar = 23.6 cups

Using BRIX:
1 degree brix is equal to 0.004 SG
It takes ~18 grams of sugar per liter to raise brix by 1 degree (68 gm sugar/gallon to raise brix by 1 degree)

3.78L=1 gallon

Also, multiply sg by 131 to find alcohol. Short answer is a pound of sugar will raise alcohol by 1 pct point in a 6 gallon kit.

1 pound of sugar added to 1 gallon, adds 6.18% alcohol (2.36 cups x 0.020sg x 131). Since you're using 6 gallons, divide by 6 to get 1.03% (6.18% / 6)

Thanks for the replies! Now for the stupid question. My wife and I were talking about adding sugar to raise the alcohol content. One of us says that it will make it sweeter while the other thinks it will have no effect on the sweetness since the sugar is converted to alcohol. My question is...which answer is correct?

Thanks for the replies! Now for the stupid question. My wife and I were talking about adding sugar to raise the alcohol content. One of us says that it will make it sweeter while the other thinks it will have no effect on the sweetness since the sugar is converted to alcohol. My question is...which answer is correct?

As long as you have not reached alcohol toxicity of the yeast and they are doing their thing you will not have sugar left because they produce CO2 and alcohol.

Latest posts

Back