First brew in the fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodystout

Reaction score
Well guys my first batch ha been sitting in the fermenter for about three days now. Brew day went pretty well. There are a few things I need to streamline but other than that good. My OG was supposed to be 1052 and I hit 1051. My airlock stopped bubbling after about a day but I'm going to leave it be and take a gravity reading to see where I stand.

Yea dont trust the air lock. Leave it for at least 7 days before your rack or check gravity.

timrox1212 said:
Yea dont trust the air lock. Leave it for at least 7 days before your rack or check gravity.

Yeah that my plan. I'm just going to let it do its thing as per instructions, which is 2 week in primary and two in secondary. Which for me is a month in primary since I only have a primary vessel at the moment. May ramp temp up a bit the last week to clean up flavors.

Cyclman said:
Congrats, best of luck. Few people do secondary any more.

+1 on this ^. No need for secondary. I don't use it anymore. Maybe if I'm going to dry hop.

When your airlock sloes or stops all the mad bubbling,only initial fermentation is over. It'll now slowly,uneventfully ctreep down to a stable FG.
Let the beer have another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. I wait 2-3 weeks before taking an FG reading.

Cyclman said:
Congrats, best of luck. Few people do secondary any more.

Yeah I have read there is really no need which is good since its one less step and less room for contamination.

unionrdr said:
When your airlock sloes or stops all the mad bubbling,only initial fermentation is over. It'll now slowly,uneventfully ctreep down to a stable FG.
Let the beer have another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. I wait 2-3 weeks before taking an FG reading.

I actually took a gravity reading before reading this. Oops. Looks like after four days I'm at 1020/1019 from an OG of 1051. I'm going to let it sit for at least another 2 to 3 weeks then ramp temps up a bit to clean things up. I'm sitting at a stable 64-66 in the fermenter, so I thought maybe ramping up to 68-70 during the last week. Thoughts?

Just a quick update. I checked my gravity yesterday and looks like at day 12 I'm at a FG of 1011. Tasted pretty decent as well. Sort of a like Newcastle with a bit more of a hop punch. Letting it come to room temp which in my pantry is about 68 degrees. Fairly happy with my first brew so far.

Latest posts

Back