American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, first off I totally messed up some things with this recipe.....LHBS bucket and cloth to guide crushed grains was misplaced so I ended up with .5 lb on the floor which was likely the crystal. I added "some" grains to make up for this, a pound if I remember correctly but I'm not sure what the pound consisted of? My way of thinking would make me believe it was Maris Otter. Anyway, I followed directions from that point and hit a 1.071 OG, too high but my LHBS has been giving me 85% efficiency regularly. Anyway, even with all the mess ups this beer is the best I've brewed by far, seems very balanced. Thanks Yooper!

You made me laugh! You totally messed up my recipe, got a different OG, and still gave me the credit for the recipe. :drunk:

I think that you're giving me WAY too much credit- it sounds like you made a great beer all on your own.

:mug:

Yooper - great brew! My OG was a bit low but this turned out to be the best beer I've made yet. Only problem is there are only 5 gallons, I need to jump on another batch because that certainly won't last long around the house!

Yooper - great brew! My OG was a bit low but this turned out to be the best beer I've made yet. Only problem is there are only 5 gallons, I need to jump on another batch because that certainly won't last long around the house!

Thanks for the reminder! I'm making an IPA today, but I think I should brew this again next week. We haven't had it in a while.

I brew my slightly tweaked version of this recipe every other batch. Thanks again for sharing.

Currently have 2 different beers on tap and another 4 in process. With my short term memory deficiencies and pipeline, I tend to forget which beer is which.

Kegged 10 gallons on Sunday and tasted it. Absolutely fantastic. My wife tried some and agreed. THAT is the beer. "Which one is this?" she asked. "I don't know, have to check my notes."

Duh, of course it was Yoopers. This year's Cascades are delicious.

Currently have 2 different beers on tap and another 4 in process. With my short term memory deficiencies and pipeline, I tend to forget which beer is which.

Kegged 10 gallons on Sunday and tasted it. Absolutely fantastic. My wife tried some and agreed. THAT is the beer. "Which one is this?" she asked. "I don't know, have to check my notes."

Duh, of course it was Yoopers. This year's Cascades are delicious.

My 2010 cascades seem to have less aroma and flavor than the 2009. Maybe it's just my location, but they were harvested at the perfect time and just dont' seem to have the "punch" that the 2009 hops had. I still have a package or two of the 2009s, so when I make it again I'll use those! This is my "next up" recipe!

I'm gonna brew this sunday. looks interesting. I like using Columbus, so I'll bitter with that and finish with Cascades. I dont have any crystal 20, so I'll sub with Caramunich. Looking forward to it

General question: is the 30 minute hop that important? Could I just adjust the 60 minute to get the same ibu's? I'm just learning, and I thought 30 min hops additions were kinda pointless.

General question: is the 30 minute hop that important? Could I just adjust the 60 minute to get the same ibu's? I'm just learning, and I thought 30 min hops additions were kinda pointless.

No, it's not important at all, and it is kinda pointless! That way my way of using an "even" amount of hops, and still getting the IBUs correct! I didn't want to use .35 more hops at 60 minutes, I think. I don't really recall now, but it worked out with my AAUs and so I've kept it!

I'm making this right now, as a matter of fact- just mashed in. The only changes this time are bittering with chinook (.5 ounce) and then using .5 ounce at 5 minutes instead of that one cascade addition at 5 minutes.

Ok.Just put 10 gallons of this in the fermenter. I subbed CaraMunich for the Crystal 20 and used 2 row for the base malt. I used 2 oz Columbus 12.2 @ 60, 1 oz Columbus @ 30 and 2 oz Amarillo 7.5 @ 5 min. I calculate 49 IBU's. The wort tasted great, my OG came in at 1.053

Ok.Just put 10 gallons of this in the fermenter. I subbed CaraMunich for the Crystal 20 and used 2 row for the base malt. I used 2 oz Columbus 12.2 @ 60, 1 oz Columbus @ 30 and 2 oz Amarillo 7.5 @ 5 min. I calculate 49 IBU's. The wort tasted great, my OG came in at 1.053

Well the nottingham ignited about midnight, when I got up this morning at 4 a.m. it was tearing through it like Sherman through the south, fermentation bottle working like a washing machine. It warmed up here the last few days, so the house is about 70 dg, about the upper end for nottingham

I just kegged this, and didn't dryhop this time. It's still really, really good! I'm happy with the small change I made, with chinook for bittering and .5 ounce of chinook at 5 minutes.

I know it's only two weeks old right now, but I still had a good sized sample just to check!

alright, I just racked 10 gallons of this to secondary. It was pretty clear coming out of the primary already. interesting color. I thought it would be darker, it was more of an Amber/Orange. I dropped 2 oz of Columbus pellets in for dry hopping. we will give it a week or so, then keg it

i just filtered and kegged and cold crashed 10 gallons last night. I force carbed overnight at 30 psi, and I just finished backing it down to 12 psi. I'm at 3.5 weeks.

Yoop, if your reading this thread, i havent sampled this yet, when would be best to start serving ??

Weeee just brewed this yoop!

Changed it up just a bit so interested in seeing how it comes out. I hopped with the same amount of cascade in OP but hopped it in at different times. A quarter went in at 5min, a quarter went in at 10min, an eighth went in at 15 and an eighth went in at 20 and so on and so forth. I put larger quantities up front for a better bittering taste and kept the 1/2oz at 5min and flameout for good aroma. I pitched Thames Valley and put an oz of cascade in for primary dry hopping.

Gonna rack to secondary after 10 days and age 1/2 on white oak for 2 weeks then compare. Thanks for the recipe and I hope I didn't butcher it too much!

Brewed the 2nd batch of this on Saturday but changed a little from the first. LHBS was out of Cascades so I used centennial and modified for a little higher IBU. Hops were 9.1% (cascades last time were 7.5) so I did 1oz for 60, 1oz for 30, 1/2oz for 10 and 1/2oz for 5. I have 1 more ounce for dryhopping. OG was 1.053 and bubbling nicely! Great beer Yooper!

i just filtered and kegged and cold crashed 10 gallons last night. I force carbed overnight at 30 psi, and I just finished backing it down to 12 psi. I'm at 3.5 weeks.

Yoop, if your reading this thread, i havent sampled this yet, when would be best to start serving ??

I drink it pretty young, but it improves while we're drinking it. Probably 6 weeks is a good guideline.

Specifically, you're only doing a part of "brewing," in this case termed mashing. Mashing is when the enzymes in the malt are used to convert the starches in the grain to sugar. This takes place at a temperature range (usually from the high 140s to mid 150s, Fahrenheit). If you go over 170F, you will denature (destroy) the enzymes, and no wort (the liquid that is fermented to make beer) will be produced.

NB: boiling comes later, which is used to utlilize hops, etc. I suggest you go through the pertinent chapters in John Palmer's How to Brew, free online at his website.

I drink it pretty young, but it improves while we're drinking it. Probably 6 weeks is a good guideline.

your right. Been drinking it for about 3 days. seems to improve each day. i will use your exact recipe next time, the Columbus for bittering is a little much, but it is growing on me. Good beer.

Mashing this now, had to adjust hops amounts due to mine only being 5%. Also, I'm doing 5.5 gallons. Thanks for the recipe Yooper :)

Made this again (first batch back in the Fall) on Saturday. Look forward to dry hopping and quaffing! This batch had an OG of 1.063; I was targeting 1.060.

Thanks again, YOOP!

Just passing 5 weeks and it gets better every day, The Columbus bittering is smoothing out. this brew really grows on you. glad i brewed 10 gallons, i have 5 more to spare.

Yooper, I'll be brewing this in the next week or two. I read from earlier in this thread that you do some water adjustments. Right now I use ro water exclusively and do a cheat from a Ken Schwartz paper I read...add a few tablespoons of dme to the mash water to get some of the necessary minerals to convert the mash. It has worked well thus far re: efficiency.

However, do you have any suggestions about building water for this beer if I'm starting w ro? If not, no biggie but thought I'd check. Really looking forward to trying this one out. Craving a fragrant, easy drinking apa and your house brew looks like just the ticket.

Yooper, I'll be brewing this in the next week or two. I read from earlier in this thread that you do some water adjustments. Right now I use ro water exclusively and do a cheat from a Ken Schwartz paper I read...add a few tablespoons of dme to the mash water to get some of the necessary minerals to convert the mash. It has worked well thus far re: efficiency.

However, do you have any suggestions about building water for this beer if I'm starting w ro? If not, no biggie but thought I'd check. Really looking forward to trying this one out. Craving a fragrant, easy drinking apa and your house brew looks like just the ticket.

I brewed this last Fall with strictly RO water, and it turned out great.

I used WLP-001 on this, its been in primary for a week. I made a 1L yeast starter for it and it seems to be taking a long time for the Krausen to drop, I realize its only been a week but usually my pale ales "appear" finished in the first week and are starting to clear. My OG was 1.059 and I am fermenting around 68 (as per WLP-001 directions) but with the amount of yeast I put in I wouldn't think it would take this long to fall.

just moved my batch to secondary and added the dry hops. It tastes awesome so far.
Do you think 1.5 weeks is too long on dry hops?

Do you think 1.5 weeks is too long on dry hops?

I've dry hopped different brews anywhere from 5 days up to 2 weeks. Shorter times will mean you won't get all of the benefits from the hops. My 5 day batch should have been longer. I try to dry hop for at least 1 week.

Longer periods don't have any negative effect (someone correct me if I'm wrong). In fact, I think at some point you really don't benefit from a longer period of time. I think 2 weeks is about at the point where longer won't do you any good.

If you leave the beer dry hopping for too long you can get grassy flavors out of them. I typically cut it off at 10 days tops.

Just bought the grain for this today. New brewer here. This will be my 4th batch. I bought a variety of hops today. My last 2 batches have been EdWorts hause pale ales. Since they are heavy on the Cascade hops I thought I would play with some Centennial on this batch to learn a little about hop flavors.

This is what I am considering for a hop schedule:

60 min .5oz Centennial 9.7
40 min .5 oz Cascade 7.4
10 min .5oz Centennial 9.7
5 min .5 oz Cascade 7.4

Think this will make a good beer? I will boil around 6.5 gallons of wort BIAB.

Just bought the grain for this today. New brewer here. This will be my 4th batch. I bought a variety of hops today. My last 2 batches have been EdWorts hause pale ales. Since they are heavy on the Cascade hops I thought I would play with some Centennial on this batch to learn a little about hop flavors.

This is what I am considering for a hop schedule:

60 min .5oz Centennial 9.7
40 min .5 oz Cascade 7.4
10 min .5oz Centennial 9.7
5 min .5 oz Cascade 7.4

Think this will make a good beer? I will boil around 6.5 gallons of wort BIAB.

Brewed this up this afternoon/evening. It is my 4th beer. Brew day went well other than a thunderstorm blowing up right when I started the boil. Fortunately i was in my car port. I don't think a little rain mist in the boil will hurt my beer.

I screwed up my sparge. I heated 3 gallons of water in my other pot forgetting that the grain will not fit in there with that much water. I wound up pouring some of the water over my grain bed in the bag lined strainer into the boil pot. By the time I got the bag into the sparge pot the water had cooled to around 160. I heated the boil pot to 170 and tea bagged the grain bag but could not put all of it in there without overflowing my pot. I wound up with 1.040 pre boil wort. Boiled it down to 5.5 gallons and it came out at 1.050.

I really liked the taste of my sample. I also wound up with 2 quart mason jars of unboiled wort that I squeezed out of my grain bag. Can I use these as yeast starters if I boil them first?

Thanks for the recipe. I liked the color of the wort.

Just wanted to update my version of your recipe. I basically made an AIPA since the IBU's are around 55. I am dry hoping it to help with a little aroma to go along withthe Bitterness :) I'm surprised how sweet this is even though the FG came out to 1.011. Taste pretty good though. I will make this one again but with correct hop ammounts. :mug:

OK, so I have never dry hopped in a keg before. Is it normal to be cloudy the whole time? This beer was clearing nicely before i added the hops. I put .5 oz in a tea ball.

Back